US: Set for 2014 retail sales growth
Retail sales are forecast to grow 4.1% this year
US retail sales are poised to increase 4.1% this year, helped by higher economic growth, as well as an improved labour market and housing sector.
The optimistic forecast from the National Retail Federation (NRF) is up from the preliminary 3.7% growth seen in 2013. The trade body also expects online sales to rise 9-12%.
"Measured improvements in economic growth, combined with positive expectations for continued consumer spending, will put the retail industry in a relatively good place in 2014," said NRF president and CEO Matthew Shay.
But, Shay warned, headwinds such as the looming debt ceiling debates, increased health care costs, and regulatory concerns still pose risks for consumers and retailers.
"The economy remains susceptible to buffets as we are already witnessing in the New Year, thanks to harsh winter weather, domestic and global financial issues," said NRF chief economist Jack Kleinhenz.
"While we are careful not to ignore the challenges, we are optimistic and hopeful that future disruptions will be limited, allowing employment and business investment to grow all the while giving retailers and their customers the confidence in the economy they need."
- Global supply chain trends at Sourcing at MAGIC
- Why voters don’t want more global supply chains
- Denim and athleisure top picks for back-to-school
- What's 3D-printing doing for apparel and footwear?
- Labelling – The importance of the fine print
- H&M takes action over Myanmar child labour breach
- Vietnam garment industry calls for strategy update
- US Q2 in brief - Express, The Buckle, Stein Mart
- Li & Fung joins FTA in sustainable sourcing pledge
- Nike and Apollo create supply chain partnership
- Too Many Standards
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Under Armour, Inc. (UA) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- THE GAP, INC.: Retailing - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis