US: Set for 2014 retail sales growth
Retail sales are forecast to grow 4.1% this year
US retail sales are poised to increase 4.1% this year, helped by higher economic growth, as well as an improved labour market and housing sector.
The optimistic forecast from the National Retail Federation (NRF) is up from the preliminary 3.7% growth seen in 2013. The trade body also expects online sales to rise 9-12%.
"Measured improvements in economic growth, combined with positive expectations for continued consumer spending, will put the retail industry in a relatively good place in 2014," said NRF president and CEO Matthew Shay.
But, Shay warned, headwinds such as the looming debt ceiling debates, increased health care costs, and regulatory concerns still pose risks for consumers and retailers.
"The economy remains susceptible to buffets as we are already witnessing in the New Year, thanks to harsh winter weather, domestic and global financial issues," said NRF chief economist Jack Kleinhenz.
"While we are careful not to ignore the challenges, we are optimistic and hopeful that future disruptions will be limited, allowing employment and business investment to grow all the while giving retailers and their customers the confidence in the economy they need."
- Improved supplier capabilities benefit Next
- Next H1: What the analysts say
- China and Vietnam lead US apparel imports in July
- THE FLANARANT: Understand win-win or lose out
- Abercrombie & Fitch to lose logos in fashion focus
- Hanesbrands axes Costa Rican jobs in Vietnam move
- Brandix selects first "game-changing" innovations
- Apparel fuels global manufacturing downturn
- VF taps Nike exec to lead innovation centres
- Bagir to invest in Ethiopia as H1 loss deepens
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Cut and Sew Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details