INDONESIA: Sets out plans to boost fashion industry
The Indonesian government has set its sights on elevating the country's apparel industry to become one of the world's leading fashion hubs by 2025 and a springboard to accelerate economic growth.
The plans were outlined by the Indonesian Fashion Designers Association (APPMI) and the Ministry of Tourism and Creative Economy to coincide with the second Indonesia Fashion Week, which ended on Sunday (17 February).
The strategy will also involve input from the Ministry of Trade, Ministry of Industry and the Ministry of Cooperatives and Small and Medium Enterprises.
Between them, they will be tasked with helping to develop local expertise so that fashion producers are better able to deliver products for global consumers. This will include design and trend forecasting, production, material development, marketing, logistics and distribution, and training.
"The fashion industry has proved its power by becoming the biggest contributor of gross domestic product (GDP) in 2012," a statement said.
"The local fashion industry has a huge potential to be developed. Indonesia is supported by the country's diverse and rich culture. From textiles, accessories, folklore to wisdom; Indonesia has it all."
Earlier this year the Indonesian Textile Association (API) told just-style it will be trying to increase export sales for its members in other ASEAN (Association of South East Asian Nations) member countries in 2013, amidst declining European Union (EU) and US demand.
Indonesia exported a total of US$13.4bn in garment and textile products in 2011 - but a 5% fall in exports is expected in 2013.
An interactive databank with intelligence on the major apparel sourcing countries
- VF Corp confirms interest in Africa sourcing
- Will Amazon take over the US apparel market?
- US groups seek workable apparel provisions in TPP
- G-Star RAW pushes the boundaries of denim
- Pakistan textile mills fear rash of closures
- VF Corp ups guidance on "strong" Q2
- Under Armour secures Germany and Austria deals
- Metallised thread for "revolutionary" RFID tag
- Manufacturing in China falls to 15-month low
- Millennials "changing the game" for hosiery
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Global market review of workwear - forecasts to 2019
- Management briefing: Factory safety and auditing: The key challenges
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020