INDONESIA: Sets out plans to boost fashion industry
The Indonesian government has set its sights on elevating the country's apparel industry to become one of the world's leading fashion hubs by 2025 and a springboard to accelerate economic growth.
The plans were outlined by the Indonesian Fashion Designers Association (APPMI) and the Ministry of Tourism and Creative Economy to coincide with the second Indonesia Fashion Week, which ended on Sunday (17 February).
The strategy will also involve input from the Ministry of Trade, Ministry of Industry and the Ministry of Cooperatives and Small and Medium Enterprises.
Between them, they will be tasked with helping to develop local expertise so that fashion producers are better able to deliver products for global consumers. This will include design and trend forecasting, production, material development, marketing, logistics and distribution, and training.
"The fashion industry has proved its power by becoming the biggest contributor of gross domestic product (GDP) in 2012," a statement said.
"The local fashion industry has a huge potential to be developed. Indonesia is supported by the country's diverse and rich culture. From textiles, accessories, folklore to wisdom; Indonesia has it all."
Earlier this year the Indonesian Textile Association (API) told just-style it will be trying to increase export sales for its members in other ASEAN (Association of South East Asian Nations) member countries in 2013, amidst declining European Union (EU) and US demand.
Indonesia exported a total of US$13.4bn in garment and textile products in 2011 - but a 5% fall in exports is expected in 2013.
- Li & Fung looks to new frontiers for growth
- Gap impressed with supply chain improvements
- Better Work programme poised to expand
- Cambodia's future outsourcing prospects uncertain
- Impact of the TPP on the US textile industry?
- China minimum wage rises will be tough to handle
- Cambodia garment industry hit with fresh strikes
- Cambodia mass faintings rise to 896 in first-half
- Ralph Lauren unveils high-performance Polo shirt
- Russia threatens ban on western apparel imports
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Prospects for the Textile and Clothing Industry in Turkey
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Knitting Mills - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Opportunities and Applications for Digital Textile Printing