US: “Sexy” strategy returns Hot Topic to Q1 profit
- Q1 net profit US$3.8m, versus $7.7m loss
- Sales up 6.4% to $171.5m
- Comparable store sales up 7.5%
Popular culture-focused retailer Hot Topic returned to profit in its first quarter as sales moved up thanks to a return to its “edgy, dark and sexy core”, the company said.
The US company, which operates 624 Hot Topic stores and 164 Torrid stores, recorded a 7.5% increase in comparable store sales in the three months to 28 April.
“Our first quarter sales and earnings increases at both the Hot Topic and Torrid brands exceeded our early expectations,” said Lisa Harper, Hot Topic chairman and CEO.
“The quarterly results demonstrate the success of our key strategies of returning the Hot Topic brand to its edgy, dark and sexy core, as well as bringing true fashion to the Torrid brand.”
Teen apparel retailer Hot Topic has booked a 38% rise in third-quarter net profit on the back of higher sales of new fashion-forward merchandise....
Teen apparel retailer Hot Topic is testing the lingerie market with the launch of five mall-based stores ahead of the holiday season under the Blackheart banner....
US apparel retailer Hot Topic has seen its third-quarter comparable sales edge up 0.2%....
UK retailers saw September sales increase, with growth driven primarily by clothing and footwear sales, according to the latest BRC/KPMG sales monitor. ...
- 2014: Year in review - Sourcing winners and losers
- COMMENT: The decline of the buying office
- 2014: Year in review - Brand winners and losers
- 2014: Year in review - Retail winners and losers
- Bangladesh: The business benefits of compliance
- Report urges overhaul of Cambodia factory safety
- North Face debuts locally-grown "backyard" hoodie
- Apparel manufacturing leads US reshoring trend
- Triumph recalls 22,000 bras for underwire fault
- Investigation uncovers China's dog leather trade