US: “Sexy” strategy returns Hot Topic to Q1 profit
- Q1 net profit US$3.8m, versus $7.7m loss
- Sales up 6.4% to $171.5m
- Comparable store sales up 7.5%
Popular culture-focused retailer Hot Topic returned to profit in its first quarter as sales moved up thanks to a return to its “edgy, dark and sexy core”, the company said.
The US company, which operates 624 Hot Topic stores and 164 Torrid stores, recorded a 7.5% increase in comparable store sales in the three months to 28 April.
“Our first quarter sales and earnings increases at both the Hot Topic and Torrid brands exceeded our early expectations,” said Lisa Harper, Hot Topic chairman and CEO.
“The quarterly results demonstrate the success of our key strategies of returning the Hot Topic brand to its edgy, dark and sexy core, as well as bringing true fashion to the Torrid brand.”
Teen apparel retailer Hot Topic has booked a 38% rise in third-quarter net profit on the back of higher sales of new fashion-forward merchandise....
Teen apparel retailer Hot Topic is testing the lingerie market with the launch of five mall-based stores ahead of the holiday season under the Blackheart banner....
US apparel retailer Hot Topic has seen its third-quarter comparable sales edge up 0.2%....
UK retailers saw September sales increase, with growth driven primarily by clothing and footwear sales, according to the latest BRC/KPMG sales monitor. ...
- Low labour cost countries linked to highest risks
- Why should brands care about China cotton?
- China cotton: implications and opportunities
- COMMENT: Skills or new technology?
- UK reshoring hub hit by sweatshop claims
- South Africa to grow grass for recyclable textiles
- 30% of Adidas cotton from sustainable sources
- Activewear driving US apparel spend
- Benetton to embark on living wage roadmap
- Sri Lanka and Bangladesh FTA talks underway
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Global market review of swimwear - forecasts to 2019
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead
- Apparel Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide