US: “Sexy” strategy returns Hot Topic to Q1 profit
- Q1 net profit US$3.8m, versus $7.7m loss
- Sales up 6.4% to $171.5m
- Comparable store sales up 7.5%
Popular culture-focused retailer Hot Topic returned to profit in its first quarter as sales moved up thanks to a return to its “edgy, dark and sexy core”, the company said.
The US company, which operates 624 Hot Topic stores and 164 Torrid stores, recorded a 7.5% increase in comparable store sales in the three months to 28 April.
“Our first quarter sales and earnings increases at both the Hot Topic and Torrid brands exceeded our early expectations,” said Lisa Harper, Hot Topic chairman and CEO.
“The quarterly results demonstrate the success of our key strategies of returning the Hot Topic brand to its edgy, dark and sexy core, as well as bringing true fashion to the Torrid brand.”
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
Teen apparel retailer Hot Topic has booked a 38% rise in third-quarter net profit on the back of higher sales of new fashion-forward merchandise....
Teen apparel retailer Hot Topic is testing the lingerie market with the launch of five mall-based stores ahead of the holiday season under the Blackheart banner....
US apparel retailer Hot Topic has seen its third-quarter comparable sales edge up 0.2%....
UK retailers saw September sales increase, with growth driven primarily by clothing and footwear sales, according to the latest BRC/KPMG sales monitor. ...
- Outlook 2017 – What next for apparel sourcing?
- Outlook 2017 – What else is the industry watching?
- Outlook 2017 – Strategies for sourcing success
- Is China about to burst its apparel trade bubble?
- Outlook 2017 – Challenges and opportunities
- M&S quality focus finally lifts clothing sales
- MAS Holdings planning second industrial park
- Sri Lanka on track to regain EU GSP+ benefits
- 22 dos and dont's – When sourcing goes wrong
- Aéropostale to reopen 500 stores across the US
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Anti-odour clothing: fresh fashion for an active lifestyle
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar