US: Shifts in apparel imports from Vietnam and Bangladesh
Among the key takeaways from new data on US apparel imports in November are a drop in shipments from Bangladesh, and Vietnam achieving the biggest gains of the year to date.
The figures on Bangladesh are significant since they mark the first fall in shipments from the country since factory safety issues came to the fore in April.
Imports fell 2.2% to 117m SME during November, and may mark the start of a decline in orders as the impact of long leadtimes filters through.
As well as factory safety issues, buyer confidence may well have been shaken by widespread strikes and disruption across the country as a pay rise for apparel workers was negotiated.
That said, it is also worth noting that a slowdown in import volume from Bangladesh in September was followed by a massive 42.5% hike in shipments the following month.
And for the year to date, US apparel imports from Bangladesh are up 11.9% to 1.59bn SME, with a rise of 11.2% in value to US$4.65bn.
The 11 months from January to November also mark a rise of 13.6% in shipments from Vietnam, to 2.24bn SME - the biggest overall gain booked by any country during the year so far. The hike is an even more impressive 14% in value terms to US$7.5bn.
Vietnam is the second-biggest apparel supplier to the US after China, while Bangladesh sits in third place.
Click here for more insight into US apparel imports in November.
- Garment manufacturers eye Myanmar outsourcing
- PSF 2014: Shifting focus from cost to consumer
- PSF 2014: No one size fits all in apparel sourcing
- Mexico's shoe makers blame their woes on China
- SuperGroup realigns supply chain to support growth
- Adidas China supplier in discussions over strike
- Bangladesh PM asks clothing buyers to pay more
- Jones CEO to depart as Sycamore splits business
- Workers strike at Adidas supplier shoe factory
- City sees "no quick fix" for Debenhams
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Antimicrobial fibres, fabrics and apparel: innovative weapons against infection
- Trade and trade policy: clothing imports, consumer expenditure and trends in five emerging markets: Brazil, Colombia, India, Kazakhstan and Peru, 4th quarter 2013
- Jeans in Italy
- Sustainable Textiles for Apparel: Fact, Fiction and Future Prospects