US: Shifts in apparel imports from Vietnam and Bangladesh
Among the key takeaways from new data on US apparel imports in November are a drop in shipments from Bangladesh, and Vietnam achieving the biggest gains of the year to date.
The figures on Bangladesh are significant since they mark the first fall in shipments from the country since factory safety issues came to the fore in April.
Imports fell 2.2% to 117m SME during November, and may mark the start of a decline in orders as the impact of long leadtimes filters through.
As well as factory safety issues, buyer confidence may well have been shaken by widespread strikes and disruption across the country as a pay rise for apparel workers was negotiated.
That said, it is also worth noting that a slowdown in import volume from Bangladesh in September was followed by a massive 42.5% hike in shipments the following month.
And for the year to date, US apparel imports from Bangladesh are up 11.9% to 1.59bn SME, with a rise of 11.2% in value to US$4.65bn.
The 11 months from January to November also mark a rise of 13.6% in shipments from Vietnam, to 2.24bn SME - the biggest overall gain booked by any country during the year so far. The hike is an even more impressive 14% in value terms to US$7.5bn.
Vietnam is the second-biggest apparel supplier to the US after China, while Bangladesh sits in third place.
Click here for more insight into US apparel imports in November.
An interactive databank with intelligence on the major apparel sourcing countries
- ‘Fixing Fashion’ one stitch at a time
- Why China 5-year plan won't change garment-making
- Five ways to tackle market and demand volatility
- Freeing up working capital in the supply chain
- Hungary offers a mix of strengths and weaknesses
- German sustainable textile scheme heads to Vietnam
- Uniqlo under fire again for China worker abuses
- Golden Lady creates a new man-made fibre
- 3D tool uses product data to shake up shopping
- US Q3 in brief: Burlington Stores, Guess, Chico's
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Practical Brand Sourcing Strategy
- Statistics: Trends in Global and Regional Man-made Fibre Production - 2015
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Trade and Trade Policy: The World’s Leading Clothing Exporters and Key Markets 2015