HONG KONG: Shippers seek other routes amid port strike
As a strike by dockers at the Port of Hong Kong enters its fourth week, shippers are working on contingency measures to ensure distribution doesn't grind to a halt.
Workers from Kwai Chung Container Terminal walked out on 28 March over issues including pay - many claim they have not had a pay rise in 10 years - poor working conditions and the exploitation of outsourced workers.
The protests have led to lengthy delays for shipments to and from the world's third-largest container port, and ocean carriers have been forced to re-route some vessels to the neighbouring Chinese port of Shenzhen.
However, operator Hong Kong International Terminals (HIT) claims 'operations are currently at or above 80% capacity despite the industrial action.'
The Hong Kong Shippers' Council last week said it had arranged to divert some import and export cargo through ports in Guangdong, and that Guangdong customs would speed up clearance of diverted shipments.
With no end in sight to the Kwai Tsing dock strike, it is hoped that the contingency plan will ease the flow of goods and reduce the risk of delays as factories move into the peak summer season.
An interactive databank with intelligence on the major apparel sourcing countries
US-based apparel manufacturer Hampshire Group has selected Centric Software's product lifecycle management (PLM) solution as a company-wide tool to help support the growth of its business....
Jeans giant Levi Strauss & Co has more than doubled its profit during the third quarter, driven by strong sales of its Levi's and Dockers brands in the Americas, a US$14m tax benefit, and favourable c...
Levi Strauss has announced a series of executive appointments at the Levi's brand to help drive innovative product and marketing....
US fashion apparel manufacturer Hampshire Group returned to profit during the second quarter, but said its performance does not reflect the long-term prospects of the business....
- Yuan devaluation impact mixed for garment firms
- Will Vietnam struggle with impending trade deals?
- The new age of disruption on apparel production
- Kurt Cavano on “the Uberfication of everything”
- Gap bullish on China growth opportunities
- US Q2 in brief: J Crew, Aeropostale, Bebe Stores
- Luen Thai to continue investment in Vietnam
- Adidas seeking to resolve shoe supplier dispute
- Adidas files trademark suit against Forever 21
- China market woes could hit consumer spending
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Global market review of lingerie - forecasts to 2020
- Global market review of swimwear - forecasts to 2019