US: Shoe Carnival "well positioned" as Q3 profit rises
- Q3 profit increased 16.9% to $12.2m
- Sales up 13.4% to $244.4m
- Company believes it is "well positioned" for holiday season
Shoe Carnival said it is "well positioned" to capitalise on holiday sales after the value-priced footwear retailer posted a 16.9% rise in third-quarter net profit on the back of improved margins and increased sales.
Net income reached US$12.2m for the 13 weeks to 27 October, compared to $10.5m the prior year.
Net sales were up 13.4% to $244.4m, while comparable store sales climbed 6.2%. Gross profit margin increased to 31.3% compared to 30.2% the same period last year. Merchandise margin edged up 0.6%, while buying, distribution and occupancy costs dropped 0.5% as a percentage of sales.
President and CEO Cliff Sifford said: "Our team did a great job in positioning us for a highly successful back-to-school season. We achieved comparable store sales at the high end of our guidance and record earnings.
"Our strong financial performance was the result of a marketing effort that resonated with our core consumer. We showcased the fashion trends currently driving footwear demand and reached additional customers through the opening of stores in new and existing markets."
The company expects full-year earnings diluted per share to range from $1.47 to $1.51, while net sales are forecast to be between $864m and $869m.
"As we enter the fourth quarter, we believe Shoe Carnival is well positioned to capitalise on holiday sales, starting with Black Friday," Sifford added.
US footwear retailer Shoe Carnival saw fourth quarter net earnings edge down, despite sales increasing over the quarter. ...
Value-priced footwear retailer Shoe Carnival has lowered its fourth-quarter earnings guidance for the second time this year, after colder weather negatively impacted athletic sales....
- Why China 5-year plan won't change garment-making
- ‘Fixing Fashion’ one stitch at a time
- Five ways to tackle market and demand volatility
- Freeing up working capital in the supply chain
- Hungary offers a mix of strengths and weaknesses
- German sustainable textile scheme heads to Vietnam
- US Q3 in brief: Burlington Stores, Guess, Chico's
- Golden Lady creates a new man-made fibre
- 3D tool uses product data to shake up shopping
- Uniqlo under fire again for China worker abuses
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Practical Brand Sourcing Strategy
- Statistics: Trends in Global and Regional Man-made Fibre Production - 2015
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Trade and Trade Policy: The World’s Leading Clothing Exporters and Key Markets 2015