VIETNAM: Shoe Upper Imports Threaten Local Jobs
Large numbers of jobs in the Vietnamese shoe industry are threatened by the uncontrolled import of cheap shoe uppers into Vietnam from China. The Ministry of Industry has asked the Ministry of Trade to put a brake on shoe upper imports. Vietnam exports to the EU account for over 80 per cent of the shoe industry's output. The problems are arising following EU changes to country-of-origin requirements for shoe imports made in 1999, which allowed Vietnamese sub-contractors to import pre-processed materials from other countries, except for the shoe sole. This was followed by a Vietnamese Ministry of Industry circular in July last year, allowing business to import ready-made uppers from other countries.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
- Fashion fit for the future – strategies for speed
- How PVH is paving the way for connected apparel
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- Pakistan industry seeks help to kickstart exports
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- US Q3 in brief – Columbia Sportswear, HanesBrands
- Primark sourcing chief Gordon steps down
- Child refugees found in Turkey apparel factories
- Chinese manufacturer invests $20m in US facility
- Managing change in the move to new tech tools
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report