VIETNAM: Shoe Upper Imports Threaten Local Jobs
Large numbers of jobs in the Vietnamese shoe industry are threatened by the uncontrolled import of cheap shoe uppers into Vietnam from China. The Ministry of Industry has asked the Ministry of Trade to put a brake on shoe upper imports. Vietnam exports to the EU account for over 80 per cent of the shoe industry's output. The problems are arising following EU changes to country-of-origin requirements for shoe imports made in 1999, which allowed Vietnamese sub-contractors to import pre-processed materials from other countries, except for the shoe sole. This was followed by a Vietnamese Ministry of Industry circular in July last year, allowing business to import ready-made uppers from other countries.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Why collaboration is key to fashion supply chains
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Adidas to digitalise Speedfactory concept
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- M&S extends sourcing deal with Lindsey brothers
- Gap unveils five-year sustainable fibres pledge
- US Q1 in brief – Columbia Sportswear, Amazon
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar