INDIA: Shoemaker Bata India's Profits Plunge
Bata India profits plummeted from $774,000 to $82,000 on turnover of $37m for the third quarter 2000. Sales rose 5.5 per cent from to $35.3m to $37.2m, expenses grew 9.2 per cent, from $32.8m to $35.8m, interest from $452,000 to $495,000. Depreciation and taxation fell from $1.3m to $843,000. Bata is a Canada-based multinational with over 50 years in India. It is India's largest footwear manufacturer, it sells and exports over 60 million pairs of shoes per year. It used to occupy the high quality value-for money niche, with its legendary chain of own and franchisee outlets in every Indian city, which sell only Bata footwear and accessories. The entry of Nike, Reebok, Adidas, Lotto and K-Swiss have crowded the top end of the market however. The above figures translate to a price realisation of $ 0.62 per pair. An extremely costly, unionised workforce has also helped eat into Bata's profits over the years.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
- Fashion fit for the future – strategies for speed
- Will new Vietnam wage hinder competitiveness?
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- How TAL Apparel is staying ahead of the game
- Gap to shutter all UK Banana Republic stores
- M&S "unappealing" clothing a barrier to growth
- MAS Holdings shares commitment to sustainability
- Reebok Liquid Factory reinvents shoe production
- Bangladesh tops China as lead cotton importer
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report
- Global Sports and Fitness Wear Market 2016-2020