US: Shop Direct posts "strong" Christmas sales
Shop Direct Group, the UK's largest catalogue and online retailer and operator of the Littlewoods, Very and Isme businesses, has today (10 January) posted strong Christmas sales - but said it remains cautious in its outlook.
For the six weeks to 29 December, total sales excluding VAT were up 5% on the same period last year.
The company saw increasing demand for its own-brand fashion after it sold 140,000 own label dresses during the period, up 32% on the prior year. Margin rate, however, edged down 0.3% due to a shift in the product mix.
The week commencing 9 December was the busiest of the year, the group added.
Group CEO Alex Baldock said: "This Christmas was well ahead of last year against strong comparatives, demonstrating that our combination of great products, market-leading financial services and unique e-commerce capabilities is hitting the right note.
"Peak trading came later than ever, highlighting customers' growing trust in the online and mobile retail model and our ability to deliver."
Looking forward, the retailer expects sales to slow heading towards Easter and remain broadly flat for the year, Baldock emphasised.
"With consumer confidence remaining subdued, retailers will have to fight even harder to win market share.
"To ensure we remain a winner, we will continue to invest in delivering a great digital shopping experience for our millions of customers, whenever, wherever and however they choose to shop with us."
- How apparel retailers should react to Brexit
- US fashion firms share their sourcing strategies
- Britain votes for Brexit – what happens next?
- Retailers warned of high volatility in Brexit wake
- Lies and statistics – the sustainability version
- Columbia rain jacket a milestone in sustainability
- Myanmar factories prepare for compliance training
- Alliance cuts ties with three more factories
- Online fabric platform to "revolutionise" buying
- ILO decent work in global supply chains criticised
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Primark Stores Limited: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- Clothing & Footwear Retailing in Indonesia– Market Summary & Forecasts
- Clothing & Footwear Retailing in China – Market Summary & Forecasts
- Clothing & Footwear Retailing in Denmark