US: Skechers dismisses “baseless” legal action
Footwear company Skechers USA has dismissed two recently filed class action suits against its Shape-up products, describing them as “baseless”.
The two complaints allege that the advertising for Shape-ups rocker bottom shoes infringes Californian law, but Skechers said it would mount a “vigorous” defence.
“While the company does not usually comment on pending litigation and seeks to vindicate itself in court, it is important to set the record straight before such false and disparaging allegations take on a life of their own,” said Anthony Glassman, attorney and spokesperson for Skechers.
“The company believes that the lawsuits are inconsistent with numerous scientific studies, including studies cited in one of the lawsuits.”
Glassman said that scientific research showed that rocker bottom shoes increased muscle activity and heightened the metabolic demands of walking, in line with the claims made in the company’s advertising.
Skechers added that the studies contradicted a recent critical report by the American Council on Exercise, which it said had a conflict of interest because it sold fitness training courses, fitness materials and apparel.
Footwear firm Skechers USA has signed a deal for hockey star Wayne Gretzky to feature in its latest advertising campaign in the US....
Skechers have announced today (14 December) that they have signed a Shape-ups endorsement deal with TV personality Brooke Burke....
Footwear firm Skechers USA Inc has opened its first Skechers-branded retail store in Ireland as the latest step in its worldwide retail licensing expansion....
- Why do modern robotics elude sportswear makers?
- Traditional financing is a misfit for fast fashion
- Trump trade policy – Who knows what he'll do?
- Planning is key to an effective inventory strategy
- How would end of NAFTA affect US apparel industry?
- US Q3 in brief - G-III Apparel, Express
- Bagir exports first trousers for H&M from Ethiopia
- Film documents Cambodia garment workers' stories
- Esquel efficiency drive continues to boost brands
- Pakistan suspends India cotton imports
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Footwear Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide_2016
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack