US: Skechers distribution hub earns eco-friendly status
The facility includes solar panels to generate power, a warehouse ventilation system as well as energy efficient heating and cooling systems
Footwear firm Skechers says its North American distribution centre in California has has become the largest LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) Gold certified building in the United States.
The 1.82m sq ft hub at Rancho Belago features solar panels to generate power, a warehouse ventilation system and energy efficient heating and cooling systems. In addition, recycled and regional building materials were sourced within 500 miles of the construction site.
The building, which includes 20,000 sq ft of office space and a retail store, began operations in November 2011.
"Skechers is committed to growing its business in a way that conserves natural resources, protects the environment and reduces waste," said Skechers CFO and COO David Weinberg.
SKECHERS Distribution Center Certified as Largest LEED Gold Building in the United States
1.82 million-square-foot Highland Fairview-SKECHERS facility in California’s Inland Empire is recognized for environmentally-friendly design
MANHATTAN BEACH, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--SKECHERS USA, Inc. (NYSE:SKX) today announced that its North American distribution center in Rancho Belago, California has been officially certified LEED Gold by the U.S. Green Building Council. Designed and built by developer Highland Fairview to the highest environmental standards, the 1.82 million-square-foot SKECHERS facility is the largest LEED certified building in the United States to have received this honor.
“With the capacity to annually ship 100-million pairs of shoes, this state-of-the-art automated facility will allow us to efficiently grow our business with reduced impact to the environment. And, with the addition of a SKECHERS retail store at the site, we can service the local community.”
“SKECHERS is committed to growing its business in a way that conserves natural resources, protects the environment and reduces waste,” said David Weinberg, SKECHERS Chief Operating Officer and Chief Financial Officer. “In addition to efficiently distributing our product across North America, the SKECHERS Rancho Belago facility is an outstanding example of how large corporations can grow their business while also promoting Earth-friendly practices. We’re proud of the design innovation and ‘green’ features that can be found throughout the facility.”
"We are honored to receive this unique recognition. A LEED Gold designation is a tremendous achievement for any size project and to be recognized for the largest most advanced sustainable development of its kind in the U.S. is especially rewarding,” said Highland Fairview President and Chief Executive Officer Iddo Benzeevi.
LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) certification for commercial buildings involves a scorecard that evaluates several categories: sustainability, water efficiency, energy and atmosphere, materials and resources, indoor environmental quality, and innovation. The SKECHERS distribution center, which received its certification on December 28, 2012, earned 41 points from this scorecard to secure LEED Gold certification. Key features include:
- 280,000 square-feet of solar power generation systems on the roof.
- Lighting that operates as needed, regulated by motion sensors and powered in part by solar panels.
- A warehouse ventilation system that utilizes outside air drawn through louvers facing the prevailing winds, plus energy efficient heating and cooling systems.
- A solar reflective white “cool roof” and light colored on-site pavement to help reduce heat and global warming.
- Water efficient and drought tolerant landscaping that reduces irrigation by 50 percent.
- A Water Pollution Prevention Program that captures and treats storm water runoff from 90 percent of annual rainfall.
- Low-emitting paints, coatings, glues, and sealants that comply with LEED standards were used during construction.
- Recycled and regional building materials were sourced within 500 miles of the construction site. The majority of on-site construction waste materials were recycled as well.
Weinberg added: “With the capacity to annually ship 100-million pairs of shoes, this state-of-the-art automated facility will allow us to efficiently grow our business with reduced impact to the environment. And, with the addition of a SKECHERS retail store at the site, we can service the local community.”
The official groundbreaking ceremony for the SKECHERS distribution center took place in March 2010, and was attended by then governor Arnold Schwarzenegger, and the building opened for operation in November 2011. In addition to the warehouse operations – which can process 18,000 to 20,000 pairs of shoes for distribution in one hour – the structure includes 20,000 square-feet of office space and a SKECHERS retail store.
ABOUT SKECHERS USA, INC.
SKECHERS USA, Inc. (NYSE: SKX), based in Manhattan Beach, California, designs, develops and markets a diverse range of footwear for men, women and children under the SKECHERS name. SKECHERS footwear is available in the United States via department and specialty stores, Company-owned SKECHERS retail stores and its e-commerce website, and over 100 countries and territories through the Company’s global network of distributors and subsidiaries in Brazil, Canada, Chile, Japan, and across Europe, as well as through joint ventures in Asia. For more information, please visitwww.skechers.com, and follow us on Facebook (www.facebook.com/SKECHERS) and Twitter (twitter.com/SKECHERSUSA).
ABOUT Highland Fairview
Highland Fairview is a privately held real estate development company specializing in the development of large scale, industrial, commercial and residential projects. Highland Fairview and its affiliate companies currently own approximately five square miles of properties within Southern California which are in various stages of development. Highland Fairview’s is committed to sustainable development through its Full-Life-Cycle approach to development
Original source: http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/topix/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20130219007212&newsLang=en&ndmConfigId=1000639&vnsId=41
Footwear company Skechers USA returned to profitability in its fiscal second quarter, thanks to a double-digit sales hike and rising margins....
Refunds worth US$40m are being sent to Skechers USA customers who bought toning shoes that the footwear firm promoted through allegedly deceptive advertisements....
- Overcapacity in China could reshape fibre markets
- What does supply chain mapping really mean?
- PVH ramps up corporate responsibility commitments
- Supply chain takeaways from Sourcing at MAGIC
- Cotton supply chain transparency an ongoing issue
- Nike and Crystal Group "doing well by doing good"
- US Q2 in brief - Chico's, Caleres, G-III Apparel
- Cambodia’s focus on garment production also a risk
- C&A helps grow organic cotton production in China
- Nike and Under Armour top social currency chart
- Too Many Standards
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Under Armour, Inc. (UA) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras