Skechers hits back at "skewed" report on sales decline
Shoe maker Skechers USA has hit back at a negative analyst report suggesting its sales are decelerating, arguing that the data had been "misinterpreted".
Buckingham Research Group had indicated that Skechers' sales declined 3% in the latest week covered by SportScanInfo data - but improved 19% for the trailing four weeks and 33% for the trailing 13 weeks.
But "what BRG didn't report is that the week ending 30 September is one of the three smallest weeks of the year, according to SportScan, who also indicated to us that their analysis of the data shows that we are continuing to take market share and that footwear retailers remain confident in our product," explained Skechers COO and CFO David Weinberg.
"When not looked at in its entirety or analysed over periods of time, and understanding that some key accounts-including Amazon, Zappos, Kohl's and Finish Line/Macy's, are not currently reporting and are projected based on the balance of the sector, the data can be misinterpreted or skewed," he added.
"With a deeper dive and channel checks conducted which is always recommended, the results would be more conclusive."
The company in July posted record second-quarter sales which rose 37% to $587.1m and helped lift net profit to US$34.8m.
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
The most-read stories on just-style this week include progress in developing robotic systems to automate apparel manufacturing, Crystal Group opening a sustainable jeans factory in Cambodia, and navi...
Apparel giant PVH Corp has launched what it claims will be a "game changer" in the men's dress shirt category with a product that utilises the TekFit technology most usually found in stretch-waistband...
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- Adidas to digitalise Speedfactory concept
- Gap unveils five-year sustainable fibres pledge
- M&S extends sourcing deal with Lindsey brothers
- Adidas and Reebok top transparency index
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report