US: Skechers settles lighted footwear lawsuit
Footwear firm Skechers USA has scored what it claims is a "major legal victory" in a five-year legal dispute over Cobra International's patent relating to lighted shoes.
In a lawsuit that began in 2007, Cobra alleged the circuit used in Skechers' lighted footwear infringed its patent on sequential lighting, including the lights used in popular children's shoes.
But following a re-examination, Cobra agreed to dismiss its lawsuit against Skechers. Under the royalty-free deal, Skechers can continue using its lighted footwear technology without modification and without any payment or obligations to Cobra.
"We believe this settlement is a total victory for Skechers," the company's general counsel Philip Paccione said.
"Our message is clear: if someone asserts an overbroad and questionable patent against Skechers, they will not only lose their case but possibly their patent as well."
Footwear business Skechers returned to profit in the company's fourth quarter and full-year results, ending what its CEO dubbed a "remarkable" year for the company....
A number of major clothing brands have been accused of "fuelling modern-day slavery" through their failure to address child and forced labour in their supply chains, according to a report released by ...
- Fashion fit for the future – strategies for speed
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- Will new Vietnam wage hinder competitiveness?
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- How TAL Apparel is staying ahead of the game
- Gap to shutter all UK Banana Republic stores
- M&S "unappealing" clothing a barrier to growth
- Reebok Liquid Factory reinvents shoe production
- Child refugees found in Turkey apparel factories
- Bangladesh tops China as lead cotton importer
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report
- Global Sports and Fitness Wear Market 2016-2020