UK: Slow Christmas signals tough year for London retailers
London's retailers significantly outperformed those in the rest of the UK in December according to figures published today, with like-for-like sales 7.1% higher than a year earlier.
However, the British Retail Consortium (BRC) said this was lower than the 9.8% year-on-year increase in December 2006.
Retail footfall also slowed in December, falling further below its year-earlier level and was weaker than in the UK as a whole, the BRC said.
Clothing and footwear sales remained difficult overall, despite widespread discounting, although designer fashions and accessories continued to perform well.
Kevin Hawkins, LRC director, said: "London retailers discounted early and deep to tempt hard-pressed customers in; great for bargain hunters but an indication of a very tough start to 2008 for those retailers being squeezed between rapidly rising costs and falling shop prices."
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
Retail sales values on the UK high street rose 1.9% on a like-for-like basis during May, new data from the British Retail Consortium showed today (10 June), with clothing and footwear at the forefront...
UK clothing and footwear sales in April fell to their worst level for at least eight years according to figures released today (13 May) by the British Retail Consortium (BRC)....
The British Retail Consortium says that UK shoppers have favoured using cash instead of cards during the past year, as a result of an ensuing credit crisis in the country....
UK retail sales in March fell for the first time in two years according to new figures published by the British Retail Consortium today (15 April)....
- Digitalisation and data to disrupt supply chains
- 3D CAD comes of age
- EU eyes mandatory due diligence for apparel supply
- Unlocks for the future fashion sourcing landscape
- What TTIP might mean for US, EU textiles & apparel
- Li & Fung forms supply chain partnership with PVH
- Big data to help US firms improve clothing fit
- Levi Strauss and ILO probe Cambodia factory death
- US Q4 in brief – G-III Apparel, Finish Line
- Labour rights risk Bangladesh EU trade benefits?
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack