BANGLADESH: Smart Garment owners arrested
Two owners of the unlicensed Smart Export Garments factory have been arrested after seven workers died in a fire at the facility at the weekend.
Factory chairman Sharif Ahmed and managing director Zakir Ahmed were arrested today (30 January), police said.
Workers at Smart Garment earlier this week alleged that all exits at the factory were closed. While fire service and civil defence authorities said no fire extinguishers or fire exits were found at the site, and that the factory owners had never applied for a fire certificate.
- Li & Fung looks to new frontiers for growth
- SOURCING: Worldwide change in cost competitiveness
- More licensing and less M&A for Global Brands
- Better Work programme poised to expand
- Fitness fashion propels Athleta towards $1bn sales
- Cambodia mass faintings rise to 896 in first-half
- Ralph Lauren unveils high-performance Polo shirt
- Cambodia garment makers condemn strike protests
- Russia threatens ban on western apparel imports
- China minimum wage rises will be tough to handle
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Prospects for the Textile and Clothing Industry in Turkey
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Knitting Mills - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- China - ISA Country Report