BANGLADESH: Smart Garment owners arrested
Two owners of the unlicensed Smart Export Garments factory have been arrested after seven workers died in a fire at the facility at the weekend.
Factory chairman Sharif Ahmed and managing director Zakir Ahmed were arrested today (30 January), police said.
Workers at Smart Garment earlier this week alleged that all exits at the factory were closed. While fire service and civil defence authorities said no fire extinguishers or fire exits were found at the site, and that the factory owners had never applied for a fire certificate.
- M&S to launch supply chain human rights policy
- VF pushes ahead on chemicals management
- M&S project benefits garment worker health
- Can the Gap brand reclaim its iconic status?
- Key pieces of US trade agenda signed into law
- C&A to add "accurate fit" label to garments
- China cotton stockpile auction may shake up market
- Myanmar makers mull shut-downs over wage plans
- WEBINAR: Compliance: Why has it failed?
- US retail landscape "mediocre" over next 5 years