BANGLADESH: Smart Garment owners arrested
Two owners of the unlicensed Smart Export Garments factory have been arrested after seven workers died in a fire at the facility at the weekend.
Factory chairman Sharif Ahmed and managing director Zakir Ahmed were arrested today (30 January), police said.
Workers at Smart Garment earlier this week alleged that all exits at the factory were closed. While fire service and civil defence authorities said no fire extinguishers or fire exits were found at the site, and that the factory owners had never applied for a fire certificate.
- Myanmar - right time, right place, new challenges
- 3D printing gears up for fashion industry change
- Apparel working conditions linked to profit
- Cutting pollution saves China textile mills money
- Adidas worker hotline bridges communication gap
- China cotton imports to rise as Xinjiang cuts crop
- Crystal first China licensee of RevoLaze tech
- Thailand project to vertically integrate clothing
- Dick's Sporting Goods updates on strategy
- Cambodia growth to slow on competition and cost