BANGLADESH: Smart Garment owners arrested
Two owners of the unlicensed Smart Export Garments factory have been arrested after seven workers died in a fire at the facility at the weekend.
Factory chairman Sharif Ahmed and managing director Zakir Ahmed were arrested today (30 January), police said.
Workers at Smart Garment earlier this week alleged that all exits at the factory were closed. While fire service and civil defence authorities said no fire extinguishers or fire exits were found at the site, and that the factory owners had never applied for a fire certificate.
An interactive databank with intelligence on the major apparel sourcing countries
- Under Armour on track with new UAS sportswear line
- Myanmar garment exports surged 20% in 2015
- EU trade ministers push on TTIP and Canada pacts
- Unravelling cotton's supply and demand challenges
- What does the future hold for world wool supply?
- US retailers urge action on Hanjin Shipping crisis
- Zara launches eco-friendly Join Life collection
- Adidas unveils first Speedfactory running shoe
- Bangladesh calls for US duty-free apparel access
- Ascena Retail disappoints amid challenging year
- Too Many Standards
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Ralph Lauren Corporation : Retailing - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras