BANGLADESH: Smart Garment owners arrested
Two owners of the unlicensed Smart Export Garments factory have been arrested after seven workers died in a fire at the facility at the weekend.
Factory chairman Sharif Ahmed and managing director Zakir Ahmed were arrested today (30 January), police said.
Workers at Smart Garment earlier this week alleged that all exits at the factory were closed. While fire service and civil defence authorities said no fire extinguishers or fire exits were found at the site, and that the factory owners had never applied for a fire certificate.
An interactive databank with intelligence on the major apparel sourcing countries
- Yarn-forward rules weigh on Vietnam TPP potential
- How M&S plans to revamp its clothing business
- Footwear to see "significant" gains from TPP
- Is China really going through a slump?
- UK retailers key to domestic manufacturing growth
- M&S to see "departure" of sourcing chiefs?
- Gap accused of rights violations in supply chain
- Gap to close 75 stores amid "disastrous" Q1
- US Q1 in brief - Sears, Abercrombie & Fitch
- H&M criticised for India, Cambodia labour abuses