CANADA: South Korea trade pact to boost apparel exports
The newly signed Free Trade Agreement (FTA) between South Korea and Canada is set to boost exports for both countries, with apparel and footwear poised to benefit.
In a joint declaration, the countries’ respective Ministers of Trade hailed the FTA as “a signal achievement which will unlock the full potential of our bilateral economic relations and provide greater opportunities for economic cooperation in areas of mutual interest”.
Canada’s Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development said the agreement, the country’s first with an Asian nation, was expected to boost Canadian exports by 32%, adding C$1.7bn to the domestic economy.
It would also provide parity for Canadian businesses competing with companies based in countries with existing FTAs with South Korea, particularly in the US and the EU.
Under the terms of the FTA, Korea will grant immediate duty-free treatment to 81.9% of Canadian tariff lines, and 90.2% of non-agricultural tariff lines, including 99.8% of tariff lines covering textile and apparel products.
Of particular interest to Canadian exporters will be the immediate duty-free treatment afforded to leather clothing and tanned or dressed fur skins.
Meanwhile, Canada will grant immediate duty-free treatment to 81.5% of Korean non-agricultural tariff lines, but only 5.7% of tariff lines related to apparel – a figure which will, however, rise to 100% in the next three years).
For footwear, duty-free treatment will be granted to 34.8% of tariff lines, with the remaining tariff lines phased out by the Canadian government within five or 11 years.
- Improved supplier capabilities benefit Next
- India's labour law reforms edge a step closer
- THE FLANARANT: Understand win-win or lose out
- China and Vietnam lead US apparel imports in July
- Retailers voice concerns on Scottish independence
- H&M goes green with Conscious Denim
- Under Armour "resonating strongly" with consumers
- TPP talks "make progress" but issues remain
- Adidas defends position despite investor unrest
- Ultrasonic execs disappear along with company cash
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Cut and Sew Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details