UK: Speculation On Coats Viyella Unit Sale Increases
Coats Viyella, the textiles group, is close to agreeing a deal to sell some of its clothing factories to Li & Fung, a Hong Kong-based trading company, for an estimated £50m, the Telegraph reported yesterday.However, the company would not confirm the report today. A representative said that Deloitte & Touche, the accountancy firm, is handling all potential buyers. "Deloitte & Touche is talking to a lot of people about the sale of the 24 units."Apart from Li & Fung, potential bidders are reported to include Courtaulds Textiles, Dewhirst, SR Gent and unspecified venture capitalists.Coats Viyella decided last month to dispose of all its businesses apart from its global thread operations and its Jaeger and Viyella retail brands. UK-based factories were unable to compete with cheaper overseas locations. Four of the company's clothing factories were closed in September, resulting in the loss of around 2,000 jobs.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
- Why do modern robotics elude sportswear makers?
- Mexico makers bullish on Trump's proposed tariffs
- Traditional financing is a misfit for fast fashion
- How would end of NAFTA affect US apparel industry?
- Bagir CEO says suit-maker is back on track
- US Q3 in brief - G-III Apparel, Express
- Bagir exports first trousers for H&M from Ethiopia
- Fruit of the Loom CEO Medlin dies suddenly
- Throwaway fast fashion model needs re-think
- Crystal expands empowerment project to male staff
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Footwear Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide_2016
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack