UK: Speculation On Coats Viyella Unit Sale Increases
Coats Viyella, the textiles group, is close to agreeing a deal to sell some of its clothing factories to Li & Fung, a Hong Kong-based trading company, for an estimated £50m, the Telegraph reported yesterday.However, the company would not confirm the report today. A representative said that Deloitte & Touche, the accountancy firm, is handling all potential buyers. "Deloitte & Touche is talking to a lot of people about the sale of the 24 units."Apart from Li & Fung, potential bidders are reported to include Courtaulds Textiles, Dewhirst, SR Gent and unspecified venture capitalists.Coats Viyella decided last month to dispose of all its businesses apart from its global thread operations and its Jaeger and Viyella retail brands. UK-based factories were unable to compete with cheaper overseas locations. Four of the company's clothing factories were closed in September, resulting in the loss of around 2,000 jobs.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Why collaboration is key to fashion supply chains
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Adidas to digitalise Speedfactory concept
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- M&S extends sourcing deal with Lindsey brothers
- Gap unveils five-year sustainable fibres pledge
- US Q1 in brief – Columbia Sportswear, Amazon
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective