UK: Speculation On Coats Viyella Unit Sale Increases
Coats Viyella, the textiles group, is close to agreeing a deal to sell some of its clothing factories to Li & Fung, a Hong Kong-based trading company, for an estimated £50m, the Telegraph reported yesterday.However, the company would not confirm the report today. A representative said that Deloitte & Touche, the accountancy firm, is handling all potential buyers. "Deloitte & Touche is talking to a lot of people about the sale of the 24 units."Apart from Li & Fung, potential bidders are reported to include Courtaulds Textiles, Dewhirst, SR Gent and unspecified venture capitalists.Coats Viyella decided last month to dispose of all its businesses apart from its global thread operations and its Jaeger and Viyella retail brands. UK-based factories were unable to compete with cheaper overseas locations. Four of the company's clothing factories were closed in September, resulting in the loss of around 2,000 jobs.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
- Will new Vietnam wage hinder competitiveness?
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- Fashion fit for the future – strategies for speed
- How TAL Apparel is staying ahead of the game
- Marks & Spencer top for modern slavery reporting
- MAS Holdings shares commitment to sustainability
- Gap to shutter all UK Banana Republic stores
- M&S "unappealing" clothing a barrier to growth
- Modern Slavery Act boosts supply chain engagement
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report
- Global Sports and Fitness Wear Market 2016-2020