UK: Speculation On Coats Viyella Unit Sale Increases
Coats Viyella, the textiles group, is close to agreeing a deal to sell some of its clothing factories to Li & Fung, a Hong Kong-based trading company, for an estimated £50m, the Telegraph reported yesterday.However, the company would not confirm the report today. A representative said that Deloitte & Touche, the accountancy firm, is handling all potential buyers. "Deloitte & Touche is talking to a lot of people about the sale of the 24 units."Apart from Li & Fung, potential bidders are reported to include Courtaulds Textiles, Dewhirst, SR Gent and unspecified venture capitalists.Coats Viyella decided last month to dispose of all its businesses apart from its global thread operations and its Jaeger and Viyella retail brands. UK-based factories were unable to compete with cheaper overseas locations. Four of the company's clothing factories were closed in September, resulting in the loss of around 2,000 jobs.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- "Power of the many" drives change at Otto Group
- Hard hit Turkish industry is not knocked out
- China leads US apparel sources with falling prices
- Vietnam grows share of US apparel imports in 2016
- US apparel sector braces for potential cost hikes
- US Q4 in brief – Foot Locker, Nordstrom, Carter's
- Inditex and H&M boycott Dhaka Apparel Summit
- JC Penney to close 140 stores amid lower sales
- Bangladesh crackdown has cost garment sector $100m
- Macy's will "do the right thing", says Lundgren
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Technical textile markets: product developments and innovations, December 2016
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022