US: Speculation restarts around Nike acquisition trail
The timing could be right for sportswear giant Nike to consider an acquisition, according to a report in the Wall Street Journal yesterday (17 January).
Citing Nike's good balance sheet and expansion within the niche brands market, the Journal echoed other reports which stemmed from CEO Mark Parker's recent admission that the company is actively looking to buy.
Parker has said there are no specific targets as yet, but many industry commentators have suggested that the expansionist Puma 'sportslifestyle' firm would be an ideal purchase for Nike, which is likely to be looking to up its game after arch rival Adidas Group bought Reebok last year.
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
The market for moisture management fabrics is set to grow as apparel manufacturers shift their attention to the high-performance end of the sector and consumers place increasing importance on the perf...
A sportswear manufacturer supplying Nike and Adidas is poised to re-open after financial support was promised by the Thai Garment Manufacturing Association (TGMA)....
Ken Dice has joined Nike as vice president of USA brand management....
Around 5,000 workers have lost their jobs after a sportswear manufacturer supplying Nike and Adidas shut down unexpectedly on Wednesday (11 July)....
David Ayre has joined Nike as vice president of global human resources....
Apparel giant Liz Claiborne today revealed plans that could see it shed nearly half of its brands and cut 600 to 800 jobs as it attempts to cut costs in the face of a downturn in department store sale...
Sportswear giant Nike Inc has promoted Craig Zanon as vice president and general manager of Global Basketball, succeeding Larry Miller who recently named team president of the Portland Trail Blazers....
Branded performance apparel and footwear maker Under Armour Inc today (9 July) named Peter Mahrer as president and managing director for Under Armour Europe BV, the company's European operations headq...
- US apparel sector braces for potential cost hikes
- Trade Tracker – Trump's first weeks, Brexit agenda
- Does a hard Brexit mean hard times for UK fashion?
- Key trade issues facing US textiles and apparel
- Primark challenges critics with cotton initiative
- Li & Fung dropped from Hang Seng Index
- Bangladesh "high threat" for terrorist activity
- Vietnam apparel exports miss 2016 target
- H&M leads Better Cotton league
- Ralph Lauren new execs to support Way Forward Plan
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Technical textile markets: product developments and innovations, December 2016
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022