UK: Sports Direct invests GBP48.15m in Adidas
Sports Direct has bought 1.6m shares in Adidas - reportedly representing a 1% stake in the manufacturer, which last year combined with the Reebok brand.
The company said: "This is consistent with Sports Direct's policy of pursuing strategic investment opportunities where it believes that an investment will provide the opportunity to gain strategic or commercial advantage with the objective of creating shareholder value."
Ashley purchased his own stake in March following the stock market flotation of Sports Direct, and was estimated to have made EUR43m during the three months in which he owned the shares.
Sports Direct, which is in the midst of buying US boxing brand Everlast for $168m, announced a 16.8% fall in pre-tax profit this month as it was hit by a number of exceptional items related to its flotation in February and stiflingly wet weather conditions in the UK.
Sports Direct's share price was up 1.73% to 146.750 pence today (27 July).
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
Demand for specialist footwear fibres and fabrics is increasing rapidly, according to a new report, helped by a growing awareness of the health and safety benefits of wearing footwear designed for spe...
Shares in sportswear firm Under Armour climbed nearly 12% on the New York Stock Exchange today (23 January), on the back of strong analyst reports....
Sports Direct International has acquired a 4.96% stake in Amer Sports Corporation, just a few months after cashing in on 8.8m Amer shares when the share price was higher....
Li Ning, China's largest sports wear and athletic footwear company, has made its first foray into the US with the opening of a design office in Portland, Oregon....
UK sporting goods retailer Sports Direct has predicted a worsening retail market in the UK over the next six months, but said it would still exceed full-year expectations....
The UK's Office of Fair Trading (OFT) has cleared Nike's anticipated GBP285m (US$565m) acquisition of Umbro....
Adidas and Italian football club AC Milan have announced the extension of their sponsorship deal until the end of 2017....
Here is a list of the top ten stories published on just-style during the past year. To read the stories in full, please click on the headlines....
- Digitalisation and data to disrupt supply chains
- EU eyes mandatory due diligence for apparel supply
- Unlocks for the future fashion sourcing landscape
- What TTIP might mean for US, EU textiles & apparel
- Where next for Corporate Human Rights Benchmark?
- Li & Fung forms supply chain partnership with PVH
- US Q4 in brief – Finish Line, Oxford Industries
- Levi Strauss and ILO probe Cambodia factory death
- Sears has "substantial doubt" of future
- Adidas mulls roll-out of in-store customisation
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing