UK: Sports Direct invests GBP7m in fashion firms
Sports Direct is moving upmarket with its investment in USC and Cruise Clothing
UK sporting goods retailer Sports Direct International has bought a majority stake in two fashion firms - West Coast Capital (USC) and Cruise Clothing Ltd (Cruise) - in a deal worth GBP7.0m (US$11.2m).
Sports Direct will step into the premium and luxury market with an 80% shareholding while entrepreneur Tom Hunter, owner of fashion chain USC and independent luxury retailer Cruise, will retain a 20% stake in both companies.
Sports Direct will provide up to GBP20m to enable the existing management teams to develop the two businesses, which enjoy premium market positions, the company said.
USC currently has 38 stores across the UK, while cruise has 10 stores.
Hunter said the deal will "transform the prospects for both USC and Cruise and our employees".
"We are pleased to be taking this opportunity to work with Tom and his teams in the premium and luxury sector of the market," added Sports Direct chief executive, Dave Forsey. "While USC and Cruise will remain independent of Sports Direct, we will support the businesses with our operational expertise."
The acquisition comes less than three years after reports that USC had gone into administration. The firm was rescued by Hunter through an investment vehicle called Dundonald Holdings Ltd.
USC, which sells brands such as G Star and Diesel, reported a turnover of GBP70.0m in the 12 months to 30 January this year, while Cruise has an annual turnover of around GBP20m.
Seymour Pierce Research analyst Freddie George noted: "This acquisition looks more to do with taking on JD Sports, the leisure sportswear retailer, rather than positioning the Sports Direct business more up-market."
The UK's largest outdoor clothing and equipment retailer, Blacks Leisure Group Plc, today (23 December) said talks over the sale of the business are continuing, but that it does not expect an offer fo...
Speculation over the future of the Blacks Leisure brand continues with reports over the weekend that potential buyers see a pre-pack administration as the only viable solution of the troubled retailer...
Top stories on just-style this week included a mass fainting at a Cambodian garment factory, concerns over falling cotton demand and speculation around the future ownership of Blacks Leisure....
Sports Direct has revealed that it does not intend to pursue a bid for troubled outdoor retailer Blacks Leisure....
Retailer Sports Direct said it was on track to hit its full-year earnings target after underlying pre-tax profits held steady in the first half of the fiscal year....
Sports Direct, Go Outdoors and Mountain Warehouse have all registered interest in a takeover of troubled outdoor specialist Blacks Leisure....
Retailer JD Sports Fashion is maintaining its guidance for the full year despite seeing a recent sales downturn - but the company warned that the Christmas trading period would be crucial to its fortu...
Retailer Sports Direct International said it was on target to reach its full-year earnings target after reporting double-digit increases in sales and gross profit for the first nine weeks of its secon...
- Improved supplier capabilities benefit Next
- THE FLANARANT: Understand win-win or lose out
- China and Vietnam lead US apparel imports in July
- Next H1: What the analysts say
- Abercrombie & Fitch to lose logos in fashion focus
- Brandix selects first "game-changing" innovations
- H&M goes green with Conscious Denim
- TPP talks "make progress" but issues remain
- Bagir to invest in Ethiopia as H1 loss deepens
- US cotton production set to decline
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Cut and Sew Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details