UK: Sports Direct sets sights on Elverys acquisition
Elverys, the oldest sports chain in Ireland, operates 55 stores
UK retailer Sports Direct has welcomed news that a temporary examiner has been appointed for Elverys, as it sets its sights on acquiring the Irish sportswear chain.
Simon Coyle of Mazars was appointed to the position earlier this week, Sports Direct told just-style. In a statement, company CEO Dave Forsey said he hopes a permanent appointment over the next week will "lead to a fair and transparent process" over the future ownership of Elverys.
The comments come after Sports Direct earlier this week refused to be drawn on reports its Irish partner Heatons offered to pay EUR2.5m (US$3.4m) more for Elverys than a EUR10m offer from the chain's management.
Elverys, which runs 55 stores in Ireland, was set to be placed into receivership before being acquired by a management team backed by financial firm Capnua.
Today (7 February), Forsey said: "Elverys would be an excellent strategic fit for Sports Direct in the Republic of Ireland, giving us essential access to the important rugby replica kit market.
"Similar to the UK, where Adidas has threatened to restrict supply of the new Chelsea football kit to Sports Direct, we understand that Heatons has also been restricted from the supply of the Adidas sponsored Munster rugby kit."
He added the Adidas policy is "not in the interests of consumers", because restricting the supply of Adidas replica goods could increase the retail price shoppers have to pay.
"We believe we can offer the best solution for the future ownership of Elverys, which would be in the interests of all the stakeholders including the Irish taxpayer, creditors, consumers and employees."
Sports Direct International owner Mike Ashley has placed his USC apparel chain into administration and re-acquired it through his Republic clothing fascia....
Sports Direct International Plc. has been one of the successes in UK high street retail over the last 10 years. The sports apparel and equipment retailer has grown rapidly, hastening the demise of for...
UK retailer Sports Direct International has remained tight lipped over reports it is planning to close up to a third of its loss-making USC fashion stores....
Our new Amazon Annual Best seller reports are available on a consultancy basis and deeply mine our own Amazon Trackers research and employ some unique in house modeling techniques. Harnessing insights...
- US fashion firms share their sourcing strategies
- Cost biggest barrier to Bangladesh RMG remediation
- How apparel retailers should react to Brexit
- Britain votes for Brexit – what happens next?
- Bad sourcing blamed for pressure on retail margins
- Ten key trends in apparel and footwear markets
- Bangladesh firm comes top in World Textile Awards
- Columbia rain jacket a milestone in sustainability
- Primark continues US expansion with third store
- $360m logistics investment to benefit Bangladesh
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Primark Stores Limited: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- Clothing & Footwear Retailing in Indonesia– Market Summary & Forecasts
- Clothing & Footwear Retailing in China – Market Summary & Forecasts
- Nike Inc in Apparel and Footwear (World)