GLOBAL: Sportswear sector poised for growth
The global sportswear sector is set to generate an additional US$55bn in new sales by 2017, according to new research released by Euromonitor.
In 2012, the global sportswear market grew by more than 7.5% and exceeded US$244bn in sales.
Valued at an estimated US$80bn, the US market for sportswear is by far the largest globally, over three times higher in value than the second-ranked sportswear market China, the data shows.
Meanwhile, the four largest markets - the US, China, Japan and Brazil - collectively accounted for over half of total sportswear sales in value terms in 2012.
"The strong recovery of the global apparel market is on its way, with sales recording almost 6% value growth in 2012," explained Magdalena Kondej, Euromonitor's head of apparel research.
Sportswear is one of the most dynamic categories driving this solid performance with the largest gains recorded in North America and Asia Pacific, the report found.
"Russia, Ukraine and Argentina are the star sportswear markets with the highest growth recorded in 2012," Kondej added.
"Looking forward, sales in Russia are set to almost double in value by 2017 and the country is expected to overtake all Western European countries including Italy, the UK, France and Germany."
- SOURCING: Production problems weigh on Pakistan
- What next for smart fabrics and garments?
- Smart sportswear faces mass production challenges
- Frank Henke discusses Adidas sustainability agenda
- Lesotho risks garment job losses if AGOA lapses
- “Unsafe” Bangladesh factory refuses to evacuate
- Cambodia labour abuse claims disputed
- Major Ethiopia textile build experiences delays
- Garment factory tool to improve communication
- RFID adoption among retailers near “tipping point”
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Apparel Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Global market review of swimwear - forecasts to 2019