GLOBAL: Sportswear sector poised for growth
The global sportswear sector is set to generate an additional US$55bn in new sales by 2017, according to new research released by Euromonitor.
In 2012, the global sportswear market grew by more than 7.5% and exceeded US$244bn in sales.
Valued at an estimated US$80bn, the US market for sportswear is by far the largest globally, over three times higher in value than the second-ranked sportswear market China, the data shows.
Meanwhile, the four largest markets - the US, China, Japan and Brazil - collectively accounted for over half of total sportswear sales in value terms in 2012.
"The strong recovery of the global apparel market is on its way, with sales recording almost 6% value growth in 2012," explained Magdalena Kondej, Euromonitor's head of apparel research.
Sportswear is one of the most dynamic categories driving this solid performance with the largest gains recorded in North America and Asia Pacific, the report found.
"Russia, Ukraine and Argentina are the star sportswear markets with the highest growth recorded in 2012," Kondej added.
"Looking forward, sales in Russia are set to almost double in value by 2017 and the country is expected to overtake all Western European countries including Italy, the UK, France and Germany."
- ‘Fixing Fashion’ one stitch at a time
- Why China 5-year plan won't change garment-making
- Five ways to tackle market and demand volatility
- Freeing up working capital in the supply chain
- Hungary offers a mix of strengths and weaknesses
- Uniqlo under fire again for China worker abuses
- German sustainable textile scheme heads to Vietnam
- 3D tool uses product data to shake up shopping
- Golden Lady creates a new man-made fibre
- Fast Retailing in deal for laser treated garments
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Practical Brand Sourcing Strategy
- Statistics: Trends in Global and Regional Man-made Fibre Production - 2015
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Trade and Trade Policy: The World’s Leading Clothing Exporters and Key Markets 2015