INDIA: SSI Ministry To Discuss Dereservation With Industry
The Indian Ministry of Small Scale Industries (SSI) will meet representatives of various garment associations today in a bid to break the impasse on dereservation, which is holding up the announcement of the new textile policy, Asia Pulse reported. While the garment associations have been demanding dereservation of ready-made garments, the SSI ministry is keen to enhance an investment limit from Rs10m-Rs50m for the sector without dereservation. The SSI Minister, Vasundhara Raje, made a u-turn when she indicated that she was now willing to consider the views of garment associations about dereservation. Dereservation has led to sharp differences between the SSI ministry and the ministeries of Commerce and Textiles. Both the textiles and commerce ministeries have demanded dereservation of 15 items, including ready-made garments, leather, and toys from the list of 812 items earmarked for the SSI list. The Indian textiles minister, Kanshiram Rana, has said that unless the issue was resolved, the new textile policy could not be announced.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- No US rush to Myanmar despite end to sanctions
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- Investment continues in Ethiopia clothing sector
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Driving ban intensifies Myanmar logistics hurdles
- Amazon wins on-demand apparel manufacturing patent
- Trump bolsters "buy American" with executive order
- Start-ups chosen to re-think fashion industry
- Inditex, Adidas and Patagonia top ethical report
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts