INDIA: SSI Ministry To Discuss Dereservation With Industry
The Indian Ministry of Small Scale Industries (SSI) will meet representatives of various garment associations today in a bid to break the impasse on dereservation, which is holding up the announcement of the new textile policy, Asia Pulse reported. While the garment associations have been demanding dereservation of ready-made garments, the SSI ministry is keen to enhance an investment limit from Rs10m-Rs50m for the sector without dereservation. The SSI Minister, Vasundhara Raje, made a u-turn when she indicated that she was now willing to consider the views of garment associations about dereservation. Dereservation has led to sharp differences between the SSI ministry and the ministeries of Commerce and Textiles. Both the textiles and commerce ministeries have demanded dereservation of 15 items, including ready-made garments, leather, and toys from the list of 812 items earmarked for the SSI list. The Indian textiles minister, Kanshiram Rana, has said that unless the issue was resolved, the new textile policy could not be announced.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
- Fashion fit for the future – strategies for speed
- How PVH is paving the way for connected apparel
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- Pakistan industry seeks help to kickstart exports
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- US Q3 in brief – Columbia Sportswear, HanesBrands
- Primark sourcing chief Gordon steps down
- Child refugees found in Turkey apparel factories
- Chinese manufacturer invests $20m in US facility
- Managing change in the move to new tech tools
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report