US: Staff and stores culled in Bakers Footwear revamp
Debt-laden retailer Bakers Footwear Group is to shed more than 70 stores and up to one-third of its staff in an effort to turn around the ailing company.
According to SEC filings, company COO Joseph VanderPluym, chief planning officer Stanley Tusman and chief merchandising officer Mark Ianni have all lost their jobs as Bakers aims to restructure its business – and up to one in three of the company’s employees could also be axed under the plans.
The company will reduce its retail base by 72-77 stores by year-end fiscal 2012 to second quarter 2013, selling up to 52 of them to Aldo US for US$6.4m and closing 20-25 under-performing outlets this autumn.
The closures and sell-offs will generate up to $7m in annual expense reduction, said Bakers, with a similar amount raised by liquidating inventory.
The proceeds from the actions will be used to reduce debt and improve cash flow.
The company said it would focus solely on its Bakers brand in the future, restoring its position in the moderately priced footwear market under new leadership, and ending its H by Halston licence on 31 December this year.
Bakers admitted that it was in default on its credit line, but said it was in negotiations with chief lender Crystal in an effort to secure a forbearance agreement and, eventually, to return to compliance.
The result in fiscal 2013, the company said, would be net sales of about $140m from 141-146 Bakers stores, with e-commerce sales representing a 15-20% proportion of total sales.
“We expect to generate significant short-term cash and savings over the next 12 months, which will enable us to reduce outstanding debt and improve cash flow,” said Bakers chairman and CEO Peter Edison.
Bakers Footwear Group has hired Great American Group to liquidate inventory at the retailer's 56 remaining stores and online....
Bankrupt retailer Bakers Footwear Group has abandoned plans to restructure its business and now intends to liquidate or sell all of its remaining assets....
- The current state of play in world garment exports
- Fung Capital helps PLM firm expand into Asia
- Africa courts clothing and textile investment
- ANALYSIS: New pricing strategy pays off for Nike
- Diversification a key focus for Under Armour
- Adidas investigating Cambodia faintings
- Footwear “facing increased compliance challenges"
- Matalan defends its position on Bangladesh
- Arrests made at US REI/North Face protests
- North Face commits to 100% recycled polyester
- Textile Wholesaling in the UK - Industry Market Research Report
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Survey of the European Fabric Fairs: Spring/Summer 2015
- Plunkett's Apparel & Textiles Industry Almanac 2014: Apparel & Textiles Industry Market Research, Statistics, Trends & Leading Companies
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report