BANGLADESH: Stakeholders urged to tackle fire safety
The Bangladesh Employers Federation (BEF) has called for an urgent meeting between all stakeholders in the country's apparel sector in a bid to prevent future fires after at least 111 people were killed in a blaze at Tazreen Fashion at the weekend.
BEF president Fazlul Hoque, a former president of the Bangladesh Knitwear Manufacturers and Exporters Association (BKMEA), said buyers have already expressed their concern over the fire at Ashulia on the outskirts of Dhaka.
He was speaking to just-style yesterday (27 November) after a meeting with Dan Mozena, the US Ambassador to Bangladesh.
"I think there are important lessons to be learnt from the incident, and I am hopeful that these lessons will be learnt to ensure continuous growth in this industry," Mozena told reporters after the meeting with the BEF leaders.
The BEF deals with a wide range of activities covering social, industrial relations, labour, employment and economic issues. Its members include 115 companies and 14 groups including the BGMEA and the BKMEA (Bangladesh Knitwear Manufacturers and Exporters Association).
Apparel makers have already talked to the International Labour Organization (ILO) about ways to improve and strengthen fire safety measures in the garment sector. A meeting between worker, employer and government representatives is likely to be held in January, just-style has been told.
An interactive databank with intelligence on the major apparel sourcing countries
- The new age of disruption on apparel production
- Will Vietnam struggle with impending trade deals?
- Yuan devaluation impact mixed for garment firms
- Kurt Cavano on “the Uberfication of everything”
- China devaluation: what’s the big deal?
- US Q2 in brief: J Crew, Aeropostale, Bebe Stores
- Adidas seeking to resolve shoe supplier dispute
- Luen Thai to continue investment in Vietnam
- H&M offers $1m grant for sustainable innovations
- Adidas files trademark suit against Forever 21
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Global market review of lingerie - forecasts to 2020
- Global market review of swimwear - forecasts to 2019