US: Stein Mart Q4 earnings tumble on charges
- Q4 earnings drop to $7.4m
- Sales fall 2%
- Comparable sales drop 2.1%
Off-price fashion retailer Stein Mart Inc has booked a drop in fourth-quarter earnings on the back of lower revenues and one-time charges.
In the three months ended 1 February, net income amounted to US$7.4m. This compared to earnings of $13.5m a year earlier.
Results included a $3.1m charge after-tax related to a decrease in inventories. Excluding charges, net income amounted to $13.1m from $12.3m in the year ago quarter.
Sales were down 2% to $360.8m, while comparable store sales dropped 3.1%.
Nonetheless, CEO Jay Stein said he was "very pleased" with the results. "We improved our business in 2013 through a number of key initiatives, including enhancing our merchandise and brands, launching our online store, more effective marketing, taking our supply chain distribution centers in-house and growing our credit card programme.
"For 2014, we will continue to build upon these achievements, while initiating our most aggressive store opening plan in more than ten years with 16 new and relocated stores, to even better serve our customers and grow returns for our investors," he said.
This report analyzes the worldwide markets for Women's and Girls' Clothing in US$ Million by the following Product Segments: Women's and Girls' Dresses, Women's and Girls' Suits & Coats, Women's and G...
- Alliance and Accord urged to harmonise efforts
- India's labour law reforms edge a step closer
- Tesco update: What the analysts say
- China cuts cotton imports to boost domestic sales
- Improved supplier capabilities benefit Next
- Apparel is third-largest re-shored US sector
- Under Armour "resonating strongly" with consumers
- Fashion brands support Cambodia wage rise
- China dye-maker to shut after desert pollution
- Trial cotton subsidy scheme underway in China
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Ethiopia - ISA Country Report