US: Steve Madden Q4 sales up but lowers FY guidance
Footwear business Steve Madden has booked an increase in fourth-quarter sales but lowered its earnings guidance for the full year, on the back of soft retail traffic and sales trends.
In the three months to the end of December, sales reached US$342.6m, an 8.6% increase on the prior year period.
In the group's wholesale division, revenues grew 10.5% to $273.1m, while retail sales rose 1.7% to $69.5m. Retail comparable store sales, however, dropped 6.7%.
For its fiscal 2013 year, net sales reached $1.314bn, a 7.1% increase on fiscal 2012.
For the full year, Steve Madden said it now expects diluted EPS to be around $1.97, at the lower end of its guidance range of $1.97 to $2.03.
For fiscal year 2014, the company expects that net sales will increase 5% to 7% over net sales in 2013. Diluted EPS is expected to be in the range of $2.05 to $2.15.
"Our wholesale business met expectations during the fourth quarter, but our retail segment was below plan primarily due to softer-than-anticipated performance in December," said CEO Edward Rosenfeld.
"Looking ahead, while we are confident that we can maintain solid momentum in our wholesale business, we are cautious on the near-term outlook for our retail segment given the recent softness in traffic and sales trends."
This report analyzes the worldwide markets for Footwear in US$ Million and Million Pairs by the following Product Categories/Segments: Athletic Footwear (Aerobic, Baseball, Basketball, Cricket, Cross-...
Juicy Couture owner Authentic Brands Group is to shutter all of the apparel brand's US stores as it plans an overhaul of the business....
Footwear and accessories specialist Steve Madden recorded an increase in first-quarter sales, thanks to an "outstanding" performance from its wholesale business....
- New scenarios driving sustainability in textiles
- New wage ladder lifts workers towards living wages
- US retailers to face logistics issues into 2015
- Cambodia employers and unions unhappy at wage rise
- M&S continuing to drive sustainability agenda
- Coats launches new services business in Vietnam
- Bangladesh worker dies as factory boiler ruptures
- Eight footwear factories lead on social compliance
- Global unions join forces on apparel wage poverty
- J Crew embarks on new expansion phase