EUROPE: Still no decision on Asian shoe duties
EU countries have once again failed to find a solution to the alleged dumping of Chinese and Vietnamese shoes.
While the UK, the Netherlands and Scandinavia continue to rally against the proposal of a 16.5% duty on Chinese shoes and a 10% one on Vietnamese ones, elsewhere countries such as Italy and France insist duties are necessary for fair trade.
"The member states had strongly divided views on the matter," said European Commission spokesman Peter Power, according to AFP, after yet another meeting in Brussels yesterday (20 September).
Those opposing the duties say they are unnecessarily, protectionist and against free trade principals.
The deadline for a decision on duties is now 6 October.
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
What's likely to happen when anti-China quotas lapse in the EU at the end of 2007 and in the US at the end of 2008? No-one knows for sure explains Mike Flanagan, and points out that trying to forecast...
A bid by a South Korea fibre exporter to have low melt polyester staple fibres (LMP) excluded from existing European Union (EU) anti-dumping duties on synthetic polyester staple fibres (PSF) has been ...
The European Commission (EC) has warned the Sri Lankan garment trade to develop a survival strategy in the face of an impending India-EU trade deal....
Vivarte, the group of around 15 clothing and shoe brands, is in exclusive negotiations with Crédit Agricole Private Equity, an investment arm of banking group, Crédit Agricole, to acquire French shoe ...
The European Union (EU) Council of Ministers has re-imposed definitive antidumping duties on imports into the EU of certain polyethylene terephthalate (PET) from India, Indonesia, Malaysia, South Kore...
The European Commission has given the go-ahead to the acquisition of a 68% stake in French clothing and shoe group Vivarte by UK investment fund Charterhouse Capital Partners....
EU ministers have been asked to approve a trade deal negotiated by the European Commission and Albania, liberalising sales of various footwear and textile production input lines....
European Union (EU) ministers have been asked to approve changes to a 1997 trade and political cooperation deal with Mexico, so that EU textile and footwear manufacturers are better able to exploit it...
- Bangladesh apparel sector faces up to challenges
- Trade Tracker – Trump's first weeks, Brexit agenda
- Gap working to rebuild and gain market share
- Wage abuses can’t be eliminated by software and PR
- Hard hit Turkish industry is not knocked out
- US Q4 in brief – American Eagle Outfitters
- JC Penney to close 140 stores amid lower sales
- Bangladesh government steps in on labour crackdown
- Adidas unveils "revolutionary" marathon shoe
- Myanmar forms new minimum wage committee
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Technical textile markets: product developments and innovations, December 2016
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022