UK: Store openings and warm weather boost Primark Q3 sales
Primark increased its year-on-year selling space by 1m sq ft in the quarter
An increase in selling space and warmer weather pushed sales up for UK value fashion retailer Primark in its third-quarter.
In the three months ended 21 June, sales grew 22% at constant exchange rates bringing the year-to-date sales increase to 17%.
This was driven by like-for-like sales growth, a further increase in retail selling space and superior sales densities in Primark's new stores. Strong like-for-like sales growth benefited from the warm weather, and built further on strong trading in May and June last year.
Operating margin remained in line with the first half, benefiting from warehouse and distribution efficiencies and lower freight rates.
Primark increased its year-on-year selling space by 1m sq ft in the quarter, from 9m last year. The retailer opened three stores in the quarter in the suburbs of Paris, in addition to Cologne in Germany, Nijmegen in The Netherlands, Logrono in Spain and Canterbury in the UK.
The group said its plans to open its first stores in the north east of the US towards the end of 2015 remain on track.
Changing textile and other input suppliers may be fraught with difficulties, but it is key to the role of any clothing buyer. And experience and expertise is critical to help buyers avoid pitfalls whe...
Since 2013 Spain has been the second market for Primark, after registering strong growth in 2013 and 2014. Future plans entail the expansion of its retail sales area, and in 2015 it will open a flagsh...
With its cheaper labour and resources, East Africa has already attracted foreign investment, particularly from Asia - as well as business from major international fashion brands and retailers....
After a highly proactive start to 2013 with four new outlet openings, Primark spent the second half of 2013 consolidating on its strong position in apparel and footwear specialist retailers. The compa...
As the Spanish economy returns to growth, Spaniards are recovering their trust, and womenswear registered positive growth after six years of decline, growing by 2% in current value terms in 2014. This...
2014 was the first year of positive growth in menswear, after years of decline registered during the review period, with demand directly affected by the economic crisis. Between 2008 and 2013, menswea...
- Sustainable fibres, finishes and processes at ITMA
- Freeing up working capital in the supply chain
- Five ways to tackle market and demand volatility
- ‘Fixing Fashion’ one stitch at a time
- Why China 5-year plan won't change garment-making
- Uniqlo under fire again for China worker abuses
- German sustainable textile scheme heads to Vietnam
- 3D tool uses product data to shake up shopping
- US Q3 in brief: Shoe Carnival, Caleres
- Fast Retailing in deal for laser treated garments
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Practical Brand Sourcing Strategy
- Statistics: Trends in Global and Regional Man-made Fibre Production - 2015
- Trade and Trade Policy: The World’s Leading Clothing Exporters and Key Markets 2015
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory