UK: Storms Ahead For Littlewoods Management
Retail experts were eagerly awaiting the outcome of today's annual general meeting of Littlewoods. Industry sources fear senior management may face a tough time from shareholders after speculation that August sales for the retailer were disappointing. Littlewoods declined to comment prior to today's meeting, because it is held in private, but industry sources fear Littlewoods may be another victim of tough times on the high street.The chain recently announced that it was cutting prices and shedding 250 head office jobs in a major shake-up that will also involve it leasing six new stores from C&A.It said it was repositioning its home shopping and high street business as a "better value" retailer, moving into the discount retail market, offering a `value' range to compete with the likes of Matalan and Bhs.Retail analysts, Verdict Research, said earlier this month that the UK's five big catalogue retailers including Littlewoods, were suffering because of online retailers and so-called direct order catalogue retailers such as Tesco and Next.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
- Fashion fit for the future – strategies for speed
- How PVH is paving the way for connected apparel
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- Pakistan industry seeks help to kickstart exports
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- US Q3 in brief – Columbia Sportswear, HanesBrands
- Primark sourcing chief Gordon steps down
- Child refugees found in Turkey apparel factories
- Chinese manufacturer invests $20m in US facility
- Managing change in the move to new tech tools
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global Sports and Fitness Wear Market 2016-2020