UK: Strike Action Hits Martin Emprex
More than 100 machinists at the company's factory at Sutton in Ashfield in North Nottinghamshire walked out in a dispute over pay. The machinists - members of the GMB union - rejected the company's offer of a two per cent pay rise.
The union says nearly 75 per cent of the workers took part in the strike - 120 out of a total of 170. Plans had been drawn up for a second strike on Thursday this week (July 17) but the action has been suspended pending further talks with the company on Wednesday (July 16).
The company makes ladies', men's and children's wear. Customers include major retailers like Marks and Spencer.
By Clive Hinchliffe
Companies: Marks & Spencer Group Plc
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
Are brands are becoming increasingly irrelevant in much of today's clothing industry? Mike Flanagan points out that in the super-club of the world's largest apparel companies, there's no longer a sing...
What is fast fashion and is it really any different to supply chain management or quick response? This article is an edited version of an interview given by retail consultant Malcolm Newbery to Dr Liz...
High street retailer Marks & Spencer has been named the 'Consumers' Favourite Retailer' for the second consecutive year, beating non-clothing retailers such as HMV, Woolworths and B&Q....
Knitwear label Pringle's chief executive Kim Winser is to quit the company she helped turn around this year....
Struggling British retailer Marks and Spencer is splashing out €33 million on an Irish expansion programme....
Struggling high-street chain Marks and Spencer is giving its employees dance lessons in another push to turn around its flagging fortunes....
Retailers Marks and Spencer and Bhs are most likely to benefit once Littlewoods Stores no longer has a presence in the UK high street according to new research....
185 workers have been axed from the Adria textile factory in County Tyrone, Northern Ireland, as the future of the company hangs in the balance....
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- Inditex, Adidas and Patagonia top ethical report
- Calls for supply chain transparency standard
- US textile industry applauds Trump executive order
- Gap unveils five-year sustainable fibres pledge
- Pentland Brands reveals Berghaus factory list
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts