US: Sustainable Apparel Coalition unveils new eco-index
Clothing and footwear firms including Nike, Marks & Spencer, Levi Strauss and Walmart are among those backing a new tool designed to measure sustainability and environmental impact across the industry supply chain.
The companies are members of the Sustainable Apparel Coalition (SAC), which yesterday (26 July) unveiled its new Higg Index to help identify opportunities to reduce impacts and improve long-term sustainability.
Other members of the Sustainable Apparel Coalition include Adidas, VF Corp, Arvind Mills, Li & Fung, TAL Apparel and H&M Hennes & Mauritz, along with non-governmental organisations, academic experts and governmental agencies.
The new index is based on established evaluation tools, including the Outdoor Industry Association's Eco Index and Nike's Environmental Apparel Design Tool.
It is designed to measure everything from water and energy use to greenhouse gas emissions, waste, chemicals and toxicity, and has been released after a year of beta testing the sustainability impacts of some 150 products from more than 63 companies.
There are plans for the next version of the index, set to be released in 2013, to include key social and labour metrics.
The SAC said the immediate priority of the Higg Index is to drive improvement and innovation in the global apparel and footwear supply chain by measuring environmental performance data from material sourcing through end of life.
"During months of pilot testing, we have already been able to use the Higg Index as an environmental indicator in the production of many of our products by all brands," said Adidas Group head of environmental cervices Karin Ekberg.
"We intend for the Higg Index to form an increasingly important part of our overall product creation and production strategy in the years to come."
Scott Lercel, director of social responsibility and sustainability at Target added: "This tool allows our teams to make better decisions, improve our supply chain and, most importantly, reduce our impact on the global environment."
However, the coalition said no timetable has yet been set for development of a consumer-facing label for products.
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
Having spent much of the past 12 to 18 months developing offerings for both customers and staff across multiple touch points, the next challenge facing fashion brands and retailers is to connect the m...
Gene McCarthy, senior vice president of footwear at Under Armour, is to leave the performance apparel and footwear specialist next month....
Apparel company Limited Brands, owner of lingerie brands Victoria's Secret and La Senza, has become the 14th major business to pledge to eliminate all releases of hazardous chemicals throughout its su...
The most read stories on just-style this week include a look at how sourcing is going to be in 2013, a spotlight on why buyer interest in Billabong has not yet turned into a deal, and M&S extending it...
UK discount fashion retailer Primark has today (18 January) confirmed plans to open its first stores in France....
Sportswear giant Nike is investigating claims that one of its supplier factories in Indonesia is allegedly paying military personnel to intimidate employees into working for less than the minimum wage...
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- No US rush to Myanmar despite end to sanctions
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- Amazon wins on-demand apparel manufacturing patent
- Driving ban intensifies Myanmar logistics hurdles
- Inditex, Adidas and Patagonia top ethical report
- Trump bolsters "buy American" with executive order
- Calls for supply chain transparency standard
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts