WORLD: Sustainable commodities see double-digit growth
Sustainable commodities such as organic cotton are enjoying major growth thanks to a surge in private sector sourcing commitments, says a new report.
The State of Sustainability Initiatives (SSI) Review 2014, published by an alliance of international organisations, analyses the market trends of the 16 most used standards initiatives, including Organic, Fairtrade and Rainforest Alliance.
It found double and triple digit growth across the majority of initiatives surveyed for the year 2012, ranging across ten leading commodity sectors, with certified goods having an estimated trade value of US$36.1bn – and much more in market terms.
The report said voluntary sustainability standards were “gaining traction” in mainstream markets, with companies highlighted including sporting goods business Adidas.
“The growing number of companies that have made commitments to source sustainably illustrates the critical role that the private sector plays in overall market growth of products certified under these initiatives,” the report said.
The average annual growth rate of certified sustainable production across all commodity sectors, excluding biofuels, was 41% in 2012, compared to just 2% in the corresponding conventional commodity markets.
Meanwhile, sustainable cotton production was up 55% over the same period, the report said.
- VF Corp confirms interest in Africa sourcing
- Euro decline weighs on Turkish clothing industry
- G-Star RAW pushes the boundaries of denim
- Mexico makers see rise in exports and local demand
- Will Amazon take over the US apparel market?
- Metallised thread for "revolutionary" RFID tag
- UK retailers to answer over human trafficking
- Manufacturing in China falls to 15-month low
- LF Corp to streamline planning and sourcing
- Millennials "changing the game" for hosiery
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Management briefing: Factory safety and auditing: The key challenges
- Global market review of workwear - forecasts to 2019
- Sustainable Textiles for Apparel: Fact, Fiction and Future Prospects