US: Syms wins renewed Filene’s Basement auction
Cut-price apparel retailer Syms has emerged as the winner in the renewed auction of the assets of rival company Filene's Basement.
Syms' joint bid with developer Vornado Realty Trust of US$62.4m covers the leases for 23 Filene's Basement stores, along with the defunct company's trade name, inventory and distribution centre.
Rival bidders Men's Wearhouse and Crown Acquisitions submitted a higher bid of $64.9m, but only included the leases of 18 stores, potentially leaving more creditors with claims on the retailer.
Syms' acquisition is subject to ratification by the Bankruptcy Court in Delaware tomorrow (17 June).
The company said it expected to complete the deal, subject to that ratification, on Thursday.
Men's Wearhouse won the original auction last week, but the result was annulled and the auction reinstituted after complaints from losing bidders Syms and Crown Acquisitions.
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
Off-price retailer Syms Corp has announced a net loss of US$9.7m as compared to $1.3m in the prior year period, as it looks to turn around 23 Filene's Basement stores....
Apparel retailer Men's Wearhouse is to shutter its distribution centre in West Chester, Pennsylvania, in a move that will lead to the loss of 105 jobs....
Off-price retailer Retail Ventures Inc has seen swung to a second quarter loss on lower sales at its DSW shoe stores....
Apparel retailer Men's Wearhouse beat analyst estimates with a 20% rise in second quarter profit - but fell short with its expectations for the third quarter....
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Why collaboration is key to fashion supply chains
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Adidas to digitalise Speedfactory concept
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- M&S extends sourcing deal with Lindsey brothers
- Gap unveils five-year sustainable fibres pledge
- US Q1 in brief – Columbia Sportswear, Amazon
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar