US: Syms wins renewed Filene’s Basement auction
Cut-price apparel retailer Syms has emerged as the winner in the renewed auction of the assets of rival company Filene's Basement.
Syms' joint bid with developer Vornado Realty Trust of US$62.4m covers the leases for 23 Filene's Basement stores, along with the defunct company's trade name, inventory and distribution centre.
Rival bidders Men's Wearhouse and Crown Acquisitions submitted a higher bid of $64.9m, but only included the leases of 18 stores, potentially leaving more creditors with claims on the retailer.
Syms' acquisition is subject to ratification by the Bankruptcy Court in Delaware tomorrow (17 June).
The company said it expected to complete the deal, subject to that ratification, on Thursday.
Men's Wearhouse won the original auction last week, but the result was annulled and the auction reinstituted after complaints from losing bidders Syms and Crown Acquisitions.
Off-price retailer Syms Corp has announced a net loss of US$9.7m as compared to $1.3m in the prior year period, as it looks to turn around 23 Filene's Basement stores....
Apparel retailer Men's Wearhouse is to shutter its distribution centre in West Chester, Pennsylvania, in a move that will lead to the loss of 105 jobs....
Off-price retailer Retail Ventures Inc has seen swung to a second quarter loss on lower sales at its DSW shoe stores....
Apparel retailer Men's Wearhouse beat analyst estimates with a 20% rise in second quarter profit - but fell short with its expectations for the third quarter....
- Fashion fit for the future – strategies for speed
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- Will new Vietnam wage hinder competitiveness?
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- Pakistan industry seeks help to kickstart exports
- Child refugees found in Turkey apparel factories
- Chinese manufacturer invests $20m in US facility
- US Q3 in brief - Rocky Brands, Gymboree Corp
- Reebok Liquid Factory reinvents shoe production
- Managing change in the move to new tech tools
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report
- Global Sports and Fitness Wear Market 2016-2020