UK: T-shirts Make It Onto The Best-seller Lists
As the T-shirt sales season hits its summer peak in the UK, so the shirt with a message is once again a best seller. Not since the days of Katharine Hamnett's protest tops which supported the anti-nuclear weapons cause, have printed slogans been so frequently displayed on fashionable chests. But few contemporary T-shirts are overtly political. Instead ranges like those produced by Toby Pimlico for Selfridges of Oxford Street and the House of Fraser departmental chain offer comments on today's lifestyle. Favourites include "Sex and Chocolate" and "Rude when Nude", while single words reported to be selling particularly well are "Freak" and "Pornstar."Meanwhile, the London market for vintage T-shirts continues to expand with mementos of past pop groups particularly sought by connoisseur collectors. They regard such buys as worthwhile investments, even when original Clash or early period Rolling Stones shirts are now changing hands among enthusiasts for upwards of £300. In its turn the vintage T-shirt trade is creating a new niche market within the printwear sector for reproduction classics. Obviously companies like Vintage Trading make the true nature of their products clear to all potential stockists. But the demand for "antique" merchandise is inspiring a number of less than scrupulous printers to pass off their repro garments as the real thing.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- Outlook 2017 – What next for apparel sourcing?
- $1.7bn package to boost Pakistan clothing exports
- Mexico riots hit apparel retailers and shipments
- Is China about to burst its apparel trade bubble?
- Outlook 2017 – What else is the industry watching?
- MAS Holdings planning second industrial park
- M&S quality focus finally lifts clothing sales
- Aéropostale to reopen 500 stores across the US
- JC Penney latest retailer to shutter stores?
- Sri Lanka on track to regain EU GSP+ benefits
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Anti-odour clothing: fresh fashion for an active lifestyle
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar