UK: T-shirts Make It Onto The Best-seller Lists
As the T-shirt sales season hits its summer peak in the UK, so the shirt with a message is once again a best seller. Not since the days of Katharine Hamnett's protest tops which supported the anti-nuclear weapons cause, have printed slogans been so frequently displayed on fashionable chests. But few contemporary T-shirts are overtly political. Instead ranges like those produced by Toby Pimlico for Selfridges of Oxford Street and the House of Fraser departmental chain offer comments on today's lifestyle. Favourites include "Sex and Chocolate" and "Rude when Nude", while single words reported to be selling particularly well are "Freak" and "Pornstar."Meanwhile, the London market for vintage T-shirts continues to expand with mementos of past pop groups particularly sought by connoisseur collectors. They regard such buys as worthwhile investments, even when original Clash or early period Rolling Stones shirts are now changing hands among enthusiasts for upwards of £300. In its turn the vintage T-shirt trade is creating a new niche market within the printwear sector for reproduction classics. Obviously companies like Vintage Trading make the true nature of their products clear to all potential stockists. But the demand for "antique" merchandise is inspiring a number of less than scrupulous printers to pass off their repro garments as the real thing.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- China leads US apparel sources with falling prices
- Hard hit Turkish industry is not knocked out
- Vietnam grows share of US apparel imports in 2016
- US apparel sector braces for potential cost hikes
- "Power of the many" drives change at Otto Group
- US Q4 in brief – Chico's FAS, TJX Companies
- Bangladesh crackdown has cost garment sector $100m
- Adidas and Burberry recognised for sustainability
- VF Corp sees Q4 and FY earnings tumble
- Macy's will "do the right thing", says Lundgren
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Technical textile markets: product developments and innovations, December 2016
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar