USA: Talbots Announces May Comparable Store Sales Increase of 29.4%
The Talbots, Inc. (NYSE:TLB) today announced total Company sales for fiscal May, the four weeks ended May 27, 2000, increased 26% to $110.9 million from $87.7 million for the four weeks ended May 29, 1999. Comparable store sales increased 29.4% for the month. Year-to-date sales for the seventeen weeks ended May 27, 2000 increased 23% to $468.7 million from $380.7 million reported for the seventeen weeks ended May 29, 1999. Comparable store sales increased 19.9% for the seventeen-week period. Arnold B. Zetcher, Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer, commented, "Our robust comparable store sales growth of 29.4% is significantly above even our own previously increased outlook for the month. Continuing through the end of May, this exceptional performance was driven entirely by regular-price selling, which reached unprecedented levels during the period. These on-going healthy sales trends resulted from our strong spring assortment, effective inventory management and impactful marketing programs." Talbots is a leading national specialty retailer and cataloger of women's classic apparel, shoes and accessories. The Company operates 682 stores - 406 Talbots Misses stores, including 19 Talbots Misses stores in Canada and six Talbots Misses stores in the United Kingdom; 160 Talbots Petites stores, including one Talbots Petites store in Canada; 35 Talbots Accessories & Shoes stores; 54 Talbots Kids stores; seven Talbots Woman stores; and 20 Talbots Outlet stores. Its catalog operation circulated approximately 57 million catalogs worldwide in fiscal 1999. Talbots on-line shopping site is located at
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- US apparel sector braces for potential cost hikes
- Vietnam grows share of US apparel imports in 2016
- Trade Tracker – Trump's first weeks, Brexit agenda
- Key trade issues facing US textiles and apparel
- Does a hard Brexit mean hard times for UK fashion?
- Bangladesh "high threat" for terrorist activity
- VF Corp sees Q4 and FY earnings tumble
- Sales at US clothing retailers jumped in January
- Ralph Lauren new execs to support Way Forward Plan
- US Q4 in brief – VF Corp, Kate Spade, Rocky Brands
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Technical textile markets: product developments and innovations, December 2016
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar