USA: Talbots Announces May Comparable Store Sales Increase of 29.4%
The Talbots, Inc. (NYSE:TLB) today announced total Company sales for fiscal May, the four weeks ended May 27, 2000, increased 26% to $110.9 million from $87.7 million for the four weeks ended May 29, 1999. Comparable store sales increased 29.4% for the month. Year-to-date sales for the seventeen weeks ended May 27, 2000 increased 23% to $468.7 million from $380.7 million reported for the seventeen weeks ended May 29, 1999. Comparable store sales increased 19.9% for the seventeen-week period. Arnold B. Zetcher, Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer, commented, "Our robust comparable store sales growth of 29.4% is significantly above even our own previously increased outlook for the month. Continuing through the end of May, this exceptional performance was driven entirely by regular-price selling, which reached unprecedented levels during the period. These on-going healthy sales trends resulted from our strong spring assortment, effective inventory management and impactful marketing programs." Talbots is a leading national specialty retailer and cataloger of women's classic apparel, shoes and accessories. The Company operates 682 stores - 406 Talbots Misses stores, including 19 Talbots Misses stores in Canada and six Talbots Misses stores in the United Kingdom; 160 Talbots Petites stores, including one Talbots Petites store in Canada; 35 Talbots Accessories & Shoes stores; 54 Talbots Kids stores; seven Talbots Woman stores; and 20 Talbots Outlet stores. Its catalog operation circulated approximately 57 million catalogs worldwide in fiscal 1999. Talbots on-line shopping site is located at
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- No US rush to Myanmar despite end to sanctions
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Investment continues in Ethiopia clothing sector
- Is China losing its edge as a US apparel supplier?
- Driving ban intensifies Myanmar logistics hurdles
- Amazon wins on-demand apparel manufacturing patent
- Trump bolsters "buy American" with executive order
- Start-ups chosen to re-think fashion industry
- Inditex, Adidas and Patagonia top ethical report
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report