USA: Talbots Q2 Profit Up 4.8% To $19.4m
Apparel retailer The Talbots Inc on Wednesday posted a second quarter profit of $19.4 million, up 4.8 per cent on the $18.5 million posted last year.
Total company net sales for the second quarter ended 31 July increased 5 per cent to $409.4 million from $389.6 million last year.
Retail store sales were $354.9 million, a 5 per cent increase from $339.4 million reported in the second quarter last year.
Included in retail sales was an increase of 0.3 per cent in comparable store sales. Catalogue sales increased 9 per cent to $54.5 million versus $50.2 million for the fiscal quarter last year.
For the six-month period, net income was $52.8 million versus $47.9 million last year.
Total company net sales increased 6 per cent to $828.4 million from $784.6 million in the first half last year. Retail store sales were $708.3 million, 6 per cent above the $668.6 million in the same period last year.
Arnold B. Zetcher, chairman, president and chief executive officer, said the company continues to target a 10 per cent growth in earnings per share compared to last year.
He added: "The early response to our fall merchandise assortments continues to be favourable and we believe we are well-positioned for a healthy selling season, especially given our increased inventory levels."
Companies: Talbots Inc
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
Retailer and catalogue company Talbots has reported a jump in fourth quarter income. It was not enough, however, for the company to avoid reporting a fall in income for the full year....
Apparel chain Talbots has signed a merger deal to buy all outstanding shares of ladies' wear retailer The J Jill Group for about US$517m....
Specialty retailer Talbots said poor September sales drove down third-quarter profit by 27 per cent....
The following is a general roundup of apparel and shoe chains' October sales results. The list will be updated as new results become available....
Private-label apparel company Chico's has announced a set of management promotions and two management additions as part of its continuing effort to position the company for future growth....
The following is a general roundup of apparel and shoe chains' September sales results. The list will be updated as new results become available....
The following is a general roundup of apparel and shoe chains' August sales results. The list will be updated as new results become available....
The following is a general roundup of apparel and shoe chains' July sales results. The list will be updated as new results become available....
- "Power of the many" drives change at Otto Group
- Hard hit Turkish industry is not knocked out
- China leads US apparel sources with falling prices
- US apparel sector braces for potential cost hikes
- Vietnam grows share of US apparel imports in 2016
- US Q4 in brief – Foot Locker, Nordstrom, Carter's
- Inditex and H&M boycott Dhaka Apparel Summit
- JC Penney to close 140 stores amid lower sales
- Macy's will "do the right thing", says Lundgren
- Bangladesh crackdown has cost garment sector $100m
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Technical textile markets: product developments and innovations, December 2016
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022