US: Talbots silent on “auction” reports
Women’s wear retailer The Talbots is refusing to comment after the company’s share price surged on reports that it had put itself up for sale.
Shares in the troubled business rose by nearly 20% on Friday (20 January) following a number of reports that Talbots strategic advisor Perella Weinberg had started an auction of the company.
Some reports named private equity company Golden Gate Capital as one potential bidder for the retailer, following Golden Gate’s US$75m acquisition of the J Jill brand from Talbots in 2009.
The Talbots rejected a $212m bid from another private equity company, Sycamore Partners, in December, complaining that the price “undervalued” the business.
Reports suggested that the auction process could be complete by the end of the second quarter, but The Talbots said it would not comment on the reports “as a matter of company policy”.
Meanwhile, The Talbots is continuing its quest for a new chief executive to replace the outgoing Trudy Sullivan, who announced late last year that she would retire.
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
One of the bright spots - quite literally - in the first three months of Gap Inc's new financial year has been the success of its spring collection, which helped lift sales by 6% and prompted CEO Glen...
Tesco has reshuffled the management of its clothing business for the second time in a year....
Private equity firm Sycamore Partners is set to acquire troubled US women's wear retailer Talbots at a lower price than it had previously offered for the chain. ...
US women's wear retailer The Talbots Inc has reported improved first quarter results - as it revealed it has been unable to reach an agreement to sell the business to private-equity firm Sycamore part...
US women wear chain Talbots has further extended takeover talks with private equity firm Sycamore Partners....
US women's wear retailer Talbots Inc has extended discussions with Sycamore Partners, while it considers a takeover bid from the private equity firm....
US women's wear chain Talbots has revealed it has received a second offer for the company from private equity firm Sycamore Partners, which has increased its bid to US$3.05 per share. ...
US clothing manufacturer Kellwood Co has appointed former Kenneth Cole Productions executive Jill Granoff as chief executive officer....
- US apparel sector braces for potential cost hikes
- Does a hard Brexit mean hard times for UK fashion?
- Trade Tracker – Trump's first weeks, Brexit agenda
- Primark challenges critics with cotton initiative
- Key trade issues facing US textiles and apparel
- Li & Fung dropped from Hang Seng Index
- Bangladesh "high threat" for terrorist activity
- Vietnam apparel exports miss 2016 target
- Trump talks of tweaking NAFTA trade with Canada
- H&M leads Better Cotton league
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Technical textile markets: product developments and innovations, December 2016
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022