US: Talks with the Philippines on expanding trade ties
The United States and the Philippines are to look at expanding trade ties between the two countries - in a move that will be welcomed by the Philippine garment industry, which has been seeking greater access to American markets.
Discussions are also expected to help the Philippine government whether or not to seek to join the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) agreement currently being discussed by 12 countries: Australia, Brunei, Canada, Chile, Japan, Malaysia, Mexico, New Zealand, Peru, Singapore, the US and Vietnam.
A two-day meeting last week under the Trade and Investment Framework Agreement (TIFA) finished with a pledge to expand engagement in coming months on bilateral, regional, and multilateral issues.
On bilateral issues, the US said it recognised the "considerable" efforts the Philippines has made to strengthen its intellectual property regime and overall framework for protecting worker rights, two areas of focus of recent US-Philippine cooperation. The two sides also agreed to establish a new work programme on labour affairs under the TIFA.
The US and Philippines also agreed to intensify cooperation on US-ASEAN (Association of Southeast Asian Nations) issues and on the trade and investment agenda for APEC (Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation), which the Philippines will host in 2015.
Last month just-style was told that the Philippine garment industry was continuing to push for privileged access to American markets, after the shelving of the long-anticipated Save Our Industries Act (SAVE Act).
An interactive databank with intelligence on the major apparel sourcing countries
- Why China 5-year plan won't change garment-making
- ‘Fixing Fashion’ one stitch at a time
- Navigating a turbulent sourcing landscape
- Supply chains under pressure as Black Friday looms
- Jordan garment sector strong amid regional unrest
- US Q3 in brief: Burlington Stores, Guess, Chico's
- Global clothing and footwear trade to drop by 1.5%
- Adidas has greenest textile supply chain in China
- Cambodia living wage campaign kicks off
- New Balance launches first 3D printed running shoe
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Practical Brand Sourcing Strategy
- Statistics: Trends in Global and Regional Man-made Fibre Production - 2015
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Technical Textile Markets: Product Developments and Innovations - 2nd Quarter 2015