US: Target blames "promotional" holiday for Q4 profit fall
Discount retail giant Target Corporation has blamed an "intensely promotional holiday season" for a 5.2% drop in fourth quarter profit, but says sales have since picked up.
Net income in the three months to 28 January fell to $981m or $1.45 per share, from $1.04bn or $1.45 per share a year earlier. Stripping out certain items saw earnings rise to $1.49.
The Minneapolis-based company said sales in its US retail stores rose 3.3% to $20.9bn from $20.3bn, thanks to a 2.2% rise in same-store sales and the contribution from new stores. Earnings before interest expense and income taxes (EBIT) rose 1.1% to $1.625bn.
For the year, profit edged up 0.3% to $2.93bn or $4.28 per share, with sales rising 4.1% to $68.5bn. Comparable-store sales were up 3.0%.
"For the full year, our US businesses generated 14.3% growth in adjusted earnings per share, and we experienced our strongest growth in comparable-store sales since 2007," said chairman and CEO Gregg Steinhafel.
Excluding expenses related to its move into the Canadian market, the retailer expects full-year earnings in the year ahead will rise to $4.55 to $4.75 per share. In the first quarter, earnings are seen in the range of $0.97 to $1.07 per share.
The following is a general roundup of US apparel and shoe retailers' July 2012 sales results....
- MYANMAR SNAPSHOT: Textile and apparel industry
- Indian apparel exporters discuss policy changes
- Clothing seen as central focus for new Tesco CEO
- INTERVIEW: David Nieper pushes Made in UK momentum
- VF Corp bullish for second-half growth
- Crystal Group improves worker communication
- TIMELINE: Charney ousting from American Apparel
- ILO backs Burma project to improve work practices
- VF Corp books "solid" Q2 performance
- UN rights expert urges further Cambodia reforms
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- American Eagle Outfitters, Inc. : Reacting to a need for change
- Management briefing: Sourcing shifts: Changes and challenges
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Plunkett's Apparel & Textiles Industry Almanac 2014: Apparel & Textiles Industry Market Research, Statistics, Trends & Leading Companies