US: Target CIO Jacob quits following security breach
arget Corp faced a security breach in December which affected 70m customers
Beth Jacob, the chief information officer of US retailer Target Corp, which suffered a security breach said to have affected 70m customers, has resigned.
In a statement CEO and chairman Gregg Steinhafel said the company would be "elevating the role" to a new job of chief information security officer and would hire externally for the position.
"While we are still in the process of an ongoing investigation, we recognise that the information security environment is evolving rapidly," the statement noted.
"To ensure that Target is well positioned following the data breach we suffered last year, we are undertaking an overhaul of our information security and compliance structure and practices at Target."
As part of this effort, the retailer said it will be conducting an external search for an interim CIO as well as a chief compliance officer.
Steinhafel added: "We are also working with an external advisor, Promontory Financial Group, to help us evaluate our technology, structure, processes and talent as a part of this transformation."
The data breach hit Target's profits in its last financial year. Annual net income for the 12 months to 1 February fell 34% to $1.971bn, while sales dipped 0.9% to $71.3bn.
- What the EU-Vietnam trade deal means for duties
- Ultimate frontier Myanmar uplifts Bogart Lingerie
- US apparel import growth led by Bangladesh
- US apparel retailers' January 2016 sales roundup
- Esquel backs Chinese Sea Island cotton production
- Sears looks to lift apparel via sourcing changes
- Direct sourcing helps M&S narrow the gap with Next
- Eco-friendly garment factory opens in Bangladesh
- Clothing and sports chains in activewear battle
- Nike accelerates digital strategy with new hire
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2021
- Practical Price Negotiation
- Wearable Technology Market by Product, Application, Type, & Geography - Global Forecast to 2020