US: Target Q3 profits slump despite solid revenues
- Q3 net profit down 46% to US$341m
- Revenues up 1.9% to $17.258bn
- US sales up 2% to $16.9bn
Comparable store sales were up 0.9% during the quarter
Retailer Target Corporation posted reduced profits for the third quarter, despite solid revenues in the company’s core US business.
US sales rose 2% to $16.9bn, with comparable store sales up 0.9% and the gross margin rate down slightly to 30%.
Meanwhile, the group's Canadian business generated revenues of $333m, with a gross margin rate of 14.8%, impacted by efforts to clear excess inventory.
“Target’s third quarter financial results reflect continued strong execution in our US segment in an environment where consumer spending remains constrained,” said chairman, president and CEO Gregg Steinhafel.
“As our focus shifts to the fourth quarter, we are intently focused on delivering outstanding merchandise, an easy, fun shopping experience and an unbeatable combination of everyday low prices, weekly ad discounts, 5% REDcard Rewards and price match policies throughout the US and Canada.
“And, in our Canadian segment, we are also focused on improving performance as we transition from opening to operating our 124 stores.”
Target now expects to report full-year adjusted earnings per share of $4.59-4.69, down on its earlier guidance of $4.70-4.90.
The most-read stories on just-style this week include a report on Mothercare playing down rumours it has renegotiated bank loan terms, an analysis on the sudden departure of Target's CEO, and news tha...
A costly data breach incurred a US$17m expense for retail giant Target Corporation in the fourth quarter, but also impacted consumer confidence and traffic....
- How apparel retailers should react to Brexit
- Britain votes for Brexit – what happens next?
- Brexit and the apparel industry – what lies ahead?
- Big data helps Crystal Group sustainability gains
- Brexit uncertainty over pending EU trade deals
- Under Armour opens manufacturing innovation hub
- Walmart's 'Made in USA' pledge misleading
- Uniqlo said to be scaling back US expansion
- Online fabric platform to "revolutionise" buying
- Better Work Vietnam launches labour law mobile app
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Primark Stores Limited: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- Clothing & Footwear Retailing in Indonesia– Market Summary & Forecasts
- Clothing & Footwear Retailing in Denmark
- Clothing & Footwear Retailing in China – Market Summary & Forecasts