US: Target Q3 profits slump despite solid revenues
- Q3 net profit down 46% to US$341m
- Revenues up 1.9% to $17.258bn
- US sales up 2% to $16.9bn
Comparable store sales were up 0.9% during the quarter
Retailer Target Corporation posted reduced profits for the third quarter, despite solid revenues in the company’s core US business.
US sales rose 2% to $16.9bn, with comparable store sales up 0.9% and the gross margin rate down slightly to 30%.
Meanwhile, the group's Canadian business generated revenues of $333m, with a gross margin rate of 14.8%, impacted by efforts to clear excess inventory.
“Target’s third quarter financial results reflect continued strong execution in our US segment in an environment where consumer spending remains constrained,” said chairman, president and CEO Gregg Steinhafel.
“As our focus shifts to the fourth quarter, we are intently focused on delivering outstanding merchandise, an easy, fun shopping experience and an unbeatable combination of everyday low prices, weekly ad discounts, 5% REDcard Rewards and price match policies throughout the US and Canada.
“And, in our Canadian segment, we are also focused on improving performance as we transition from opening to operating our 124 stores.”
Target now expects to report full-year adjusted earnings per share of $4.59-4.69, down on its earlier guidance of $4.70-4.90.
"If indigo was invented today, we would never approve it.” Andrew Olah, founder of the Kingpins denim show, and of Olah Inc., a textile marketing, development, and sales agency in the US. Comments...
The most-read stories on just-style this week include a report on Mothercare playing down rumours it has renegotiated bank loan terms, an analysis on the sudden departure of Target's CEO, and news tha...
- ‘Fixing Fashion’ one stitch at a time
- Why China 5-year plan won't change garment-making
- Sustainable fibres, finishes and processes at ITMA
- Freeing up working capital in the supply chain
- Five ways to tackle market and demand volatility
- Uniqlo under fire again for China worker abuses
- German sustainable textile scheme heads to Vietnam
- 3D tool uses product data to shake up shopping
- Fast Retailing in deal for laser treated garments
- PETA calls for wool boycott on “gruesome” exposé
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Practical Brand Sourcing Strategy
- Statistics: Trends in Global and Regional Man-made Fibre Production - 2015
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Trade and Trade Policy: The World’s Leading Clothing Exporters and Key Markets 2015