US: Target Q3 profits slump despite solid revenues
- Q3 net profit down 46% to US$341m
- Revenues up 1.9% to $17.258bn
- US sales up 2% to $16.9bn
Comparable store sales were up 0.9% during the quarter
Retailer Target Corporation posted reduced profits for the third quarter, despite solid revenues in the company’s core US business.
US sales rose 2% to $16.9bn, with comparable store sales up 0.9% and the gross margin rate down slightly to 30%.
Meanwhile, the group's Canadian business generated revenues of $333m, with a gross margin rate of 14.8%, impacted by efforts to clear excess inventory.
“Target’s third quarter financial results reflect continued strong execution in our US segment in an environment where consumer spending remains constrained,” said chairman, president and CEO Gregg Steinhafel.
“As our focus shifts to the fourth quarter, we are intently focused on delivering outstanding merchandise, an easy, fun shopping experience and an unbeatable combination of everyday low prices, weekly ad discounts, 5% REDcard Rewards and price match policies throughout the US and Canada.
“And, in our Canadian segment, we are also focused on improving performance as we transition from opening to operating our 124 stores.”
Target now expects to report full-year adjusted earnings per share of $4.59-4.69, down on its earlier guidance of $4.70-4.90.
The US holiday season, typically defined as the period between Thanksgiving and Christmas day, is a key period for retailers, and brings new challenges on a yearly basis. This case study analyzes Targ...
"If indigo was invented today, we would never approve it.” Andrew Olah, founder of the Kingpins denim show, and of Olah Inc., a textile marketing, development, and sales agency in the US. Comments...
- Impact of the TPP on the US textile industry?
- Cambodia's future outsourcing prospects uncertain
- Hazardous chemical removal a key industry issue
- Who has signed up to the Greenpeace Detox Campaign
- JC Penney emphasises new merchandising strategy
- Vietnam proposes 15% rise to regional minimum wage
- Hong Kong's Li & Fung reports "solid" H1
- Avery Dennison forms JV with Ningbo Shenzhou
- Accord and Alliance discord over inspections
- China minimum wage rises will be tough to handle
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Textile Wholesaling in the UK - Industry Market Research Report
- Survey of the European Fabric Fairs: Spring/Summer 2015
- Prospects for the Textile and Clothing Industry in Turkey