US: Target Q3 profits slump despite solid revenues
- Q3 net profit down 46% to US$341m
- Revenues up 1.9% to $17.258bn
- US sales up 2% to $16.9bn
Comparable store sales were up 0.9% during the quarter
Retailer Target Corporation posted reduced profits for the third quarter, despite solid revenues in the company’s core US business.
US sales rose 2% to $16.9bn, with comparable store sales up 0.9% and the gross margin rate down slightly to 30%.
Meanwhile, the group's Canadian business generated revenues of $333m, with a gross margin rate of 14.8%, impacted by efforts to clear excess inventory.
“Target’s third quarter financial results reflect continued strong execution in our US segment in an environment where consumer spending remains constrained,” said chairman, president and CEO Gregg Steinhafel.
“As our focus shifts to the fourth quarter, we are intently focused on delivering outstanding merchandise, an easy, fun shopping experience and an unbeatable combination of everyday low prices, weekly ad discounts, 5% REDcard Rewards and price match policies throughout the US and Canada.
“And, in our Canadian segment, we are also focused on improving performance as we transition from opening to operating our 124 stores.”
Target now expects to report full-year adjusted earnings per share of $4.59-4.69, down on its earlier guidance of $4.70-4.90.
The US holiday season, typically defined as the period between Thanksgiving and Christmas day, is a key period for retailers, and brings new challenges on a yearly basis. This case study analyzes Targ...
"If indigo was invented today, we would never approve it.” Andrew Olah, founder of the Kingpins denim show, and of Olah Inc., a textile marketing, development, and sales agency in the US. Comments...
- Why should brands care about China cotton?
- New Gap CEO set to tackle “aesthetic issue”
- Low labour cost countries linked to highest risks
- Falling euro adds to Bangladesh production woes
- China cotton: implications and opportunities
- M&S Asia head quits as China stores to close
- Gap names new design head amid mixed Q4
- Pay rise mulled for Sri Lanka garment workers
- US labour concerns at Honduras apparel makers
- JC Penney share price falls on Q4 loss
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Apparel Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead
- Global market review of swimwear - forecasts to 2019