US: Target Q4 profit drops 41%
US discount retailer Target Corp posted a 41% drop in fourth-quarter net income today (24 February) as the company struggled amid the economic downturn.
Net income dropped to US$609m for the quarter ended 31 January, down from $1.03bn a year earlier.
Revenue in the quarter fell 1.6% to $19.02bn. Sales at stores open at least a year fell 5.9% the company said. Sales at new stores partially offset that.
The Minneapolis-based retailer posted total revenue of $64.95bn in 2008, up 2.5% from the previous year.
Full-year retail segment EBIT declined 6% to $4.1bn.
"Our financial results for both the fourth quarter and 2008 fiscal year reflect the impact of unprecedented economic conditions on both of our business segments," said Gregg Steinhafel, chairman, president and CEO.
"In 2009, we are focused on continuing to grow our market share profitably."
Times are tough for US department stores, with Macy's, Saks Inc, Nordstrom, TJX, Kohl's and JC Penney all posting tumbling annual profits this week. And with a prolonged recessionary period predicted ...
Discount retailer Target Corp plans to build and manage its own online retail platform in time for the 2011 holiday season - in a move that will also mark the end its 10-year ecommerce deal with Amazo...
- Fashion fit for the future – strategies for speed
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- How PVH is paving the way for connected apparel
- Will new Vietnam wage hinder competitiveness?
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- Child refugees found in Turkey apparel factories
- US Q3 in brief - Rocky Brands, Gymboree Corp
- Chinese manufacturer invests $20m in US facility
- Managing change in the move to new tech tools
- Reebok Liquid Factory reinvents shoe production
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report
- Global Sports and Fitness Wear Market 2016-2020