US: Target "reduces" Cambodia garment sourcing
Target has reduced its orders from Cambodia
US retailer Target Corp is another apparel manufacturer to have reportedly reduced its sourcing from Cambodian garment factories in response to industry turmoil in the country.
Cambodia's Minister of Commerce, Sun Chanthol, revealed the move by Target during a recent trade mission to the US.
According to The Phnom Penh Post, the minister said Target had joined clothing brand Levi Strauss in reducing orders following a deadly strike by apparel workers in early January.
"Levi Strauss reduced their orders from Cambodia. Target also reduced their orders from Cambodia, because they are afraid of the labour unrest and so on," said Chanthol.
Levis Strauss last month confirmed it had reduced its sourcing from the country in order to "minimise supply-chain risk and ensure delivery".
During January's strike by garment workers calling for an increase in the minimum wage to US$160 per month, five people were killed when security forces opened fire on protesters with live ammunition.
Chanthol says the government is working with the International Labour Organization and the World Bank to calculate the appropriate minimum wage for the sector, in an attempt to help defuse the turmoil in the industry, the Phnom Penh Post reported.
Levi Strauss & Co. - SWOT Analysis company profile is the essential source for top-level company data and information. Levi Strauss & Co. - SWOT Analysis examines the company’s key business structu......
Among the industry executives who spoke with just-style this year were William E Connor, chairman and CEO of William E Connor & Associates; Crystal Group's CEO Andrew Lo; Helena Helmersson, head of su...
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
Levi Strauss & Co. - Strategic SWOT Analysis Review provides a comprehensive insight into the company’s history, corporate strategy, business structure and operations. The report contains a detailed S...
Levis Strauss France faces a difficult time in its development in France, as in addition to growing production costs, there is Increasing competition from retailers positioned in the economy segment, ...
- Enthusiasm for tech in outdoor apparel on rise
- New American Apparel CEO sees solid platform
- 2015: Welcome to the new fashion consumer
- Outlook 2015: What's happening with sourcing?
- George at Asda on responsible retail journey
- EU exploring responsible garment supply chains
- Gap to close Piperlime division
- Kanati pulls production out of Pakistan
- Hanesbrands invests $1.5m in US hosiery plant
- US takes final step to WTO TFA implementation
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Li & Fung Limited (494) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead
- E-Textiles: Electronic Textiles 2014-2024