US: Target "reduces" Cambodia garment sourcing
Target has reduced its orders from Cambodia
US retailer Target Corp is another apparel manufacturer to have reportedly reduced its sourcing from Cambodian garment factories in response to industry turmoil in the country.
Cambodia's Minister of Commerce, Sun Chanthol, revealed the move by Target during a recent trade mission to the US.
According to The Phnom Penh Post, the minister said Target had joined clothing brand Levi Strauss in reducing orders following a deadly strike by apparel workers in early January.
"Levi Strauss reduced their orders from Cambodia. Target also reduced their orders from Cambodia, because they are afraid of the labour unrest and so on," said Chanthol.
Levis Strauss last month confirmed it had reduced its sourcing from the country in order to "minimise supply-chain risk and ensure delivery".
During January's strike by garment workers calling for an increase in the minimum wage to US$160 per month, five people were killed when security forces opened fire on protesters with live ammunition.
Chanthol says the government is working with the International Labour Organization and the World Bank to calculate the appropriate minimum wage for the sector, in an attempt to help defuse the turmoil in the industry, the Phnom Penh Post reported.
An interactive databank with intelligence on the major apparel sourcing countries
Apparel Retail in Argentina industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value and volume 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The profile als...
Apparel Retail in Mexico industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value and volume 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The profile also c...
Apparel Retail in Singapore industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value and volume 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The profile als...
This report provides information, analysis and valuable insight on developments relating to the global apparel industry in the following categories: acquisitions, divestments and mergers; corporate so...
- Global supply chain trends at Sourcing at MAGIC
- Why voters don’t want more global supply chains
- Denim and athleisure top picks for back-to-school
- What's 3D-printing doing for apparel and footwear?
- Labelling – The importance of the fine print
- H&M takes action over Myanmar child labour breach
- Vietnam garment industry calls for strategy update
- Nike and Apollo create supply chain partnership
- US Q2 in brief - Express, The Buckle, Stein Mart
- Li & Fung joins FTA in sustainable sourcing pledge
- Too Many Standards
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Under Armour, Inc. (UA) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- THE GAP, INC.: Retailing - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis