US: Target "reduces" Cambodia garment sourcing
Target has reduced its orders from Cambodia
US retailer Target Corp is another apparel manufacturer to have reportedly reduced its sourcing from Cambodian garment factories in response to industry turmoil in the country.
Cambodia's Minister of Commerce, Sun Chanthol, revealed the move by Target during a recent trade mission to the US.
According to The Phnom Penh Post, the minister said Target had joined clothing brand Levi Strauss in reducing orders following a deadly strike by apparel workers in early January.
"Levi Strauss reduced their orders from Cambodia. Target also reduced their orders from Cambodia, because they are afraid of the labour unrest and so on," said Chanthol.
Levis Strauss last month confirmed it had reduced its sourcing from the country in order to "minimise supply-chain risk and ensure delivery".
During January's strike by garment workers calling for an increase in the minimum wage to US$160 per month, five people were killed when security forces opened fire on protesters with live ammunition.
Chanthol says the government is working with the International Labour Organization and the World Bank to calculate the appropriate minimum wage for the sector, in an attempt to help defuse the turmoil in the industry, the Phnom Penh Post reported.
Levi Strauss & Co. - SWOT, Strategy and Corporate Finance Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, produc...
Levi Strauss & Co. - SWOT Analysis company profile is the essential source for top-level company data and information. Levi Strauss & Co. - SWOT Analysis examines the company’s key business structu......
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
Accelerated selling, general and administrative (SG&A) spending is driving retailers into the red, one analyst has said, and could become a key theme over the near term....
Levi Strauss & Co. - Strategic SWOT Analysis Review provides a comprehensive insight into the company’s history, corporate strategy, business structure and operations. The report contains a detailed S...
- Li & Fung looks to new frontiers for growth
- SOURCING: Worldwide change in cost competitiveness
- Gap impressed with supply chain improvements
- More licensing and less M&A for Global Brands
- Better Work programme poised to expand
- China minimum wage rises will be tough to handle
- Cambodia garment industry hit with fresh strikes
- Cambodia mass faintings rise to 896 in first-half
- Ralph Lauren unveils high-performance Polo shirt
- Cambodia garment makers condemn strike protests
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Prospects for the Textile and Clothing Industry in Turkey
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Knitting Mills - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- China - ISA Country Report