US: Target reports 3.7% rise in Q3 net earnings
- Q3 net earnings rose 3.7% to US$302m
- Sales climbed 5.1% to $16.4bn
- Retail division sales were up 5.4% to $16.1bn
Target Corp reported a jump in third-quarter earnings yesterday (16 November) as the general merchandise retailer saw a "strong" performance in its US retail and credit-card segments.
Net earnings rose 3.7% to US$302m for the three months to 29 October, as sales climbed 5.1% to $16.4bn. Sales in its retail division increased 5.4% to $16.1bn, and were up 4.3% on a comparable-store basis.
The discount giant said third-quarter gross margin declined slightly to 30.5% from 30.6%, which it attributed to the impact of its "integrated growth strategies", partially offset by rate improvements within categories.
"We're very pleased with our third quarter financial results, which reflect strong performance in our US retail and US credit card segments," said chairman, president and CEO Gregg Steinhafel.
"We're confident that we have the right strategy and team in place to drive continued strong performance this holiday season and well into the future, allowing us to continue rewarding our shareholders while investing millions of dollars each week to support the many local communities where our guests and team members live, work and shop."
After the warmer weather and early Easter helped US apparel retailers to higher same-store sales in March, it was perhaps not surprising there would be a slowdown in April....
Warm weather might have weighed on winter sales of coats, boots and other cold climate basics at the start of the season, but spring appears to have sprung early for many US apparel retailers in Febru...
- Why China 5-year plan won't change garment-making
- ‘Fixing Fashion’ one stitch at a time
- Navigating a turbulent sourcing landscape
- Supply chains under pressure as Black Friday looms
- Jordan garment sector strong amid regional unrest
- US Q3 in brief: Burlington Stores, Guess, Chico's
- Global clothing and footwear trade to drop by 1.5%
- Cambodia living wage campaign kicks off
- New Balance launches first 3D printed running shoe
- German sustainable textile scheme heads to Vietnam
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Practical Brand Sourcing Strategy
- Statistics: Trends in Global and Regional Man-made Fibre Production - 2015
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Trade and Trade Policy: The World’s Leading Clothing Exporters and Key Markets 2015