CANADA: Target to open up to 135 stores from 2013
Ahead of its move into Canada, value retailer Target Corporation has finalised the number of leases it is taking over for stores operated by discount chain Zellers, a subsidiary of Hudson's Bay Co, and now says it will open between 125 to 135 stores in 2013.
The Minneapolis based retailer in January make its first foray outside the US after agreeing a CAD1.825bn (US$1.83bn) deal to take over leases for up to 220 stores.
"Target is excited to take another meaningful step toward our expansion in Canada," said Tony Fisher, president, Target Canada.
In May, the retailer selected an initial group of 105 leases spanning all 10 provinces, with most of those sites becoming Target stores beginning in 2013. The additional 84 leases announced on Friday (23 September) are part of Target's second and final selection, and include 39 leases for which Target transferred the rights to Walmart.
All selected sites will be sub-leased to Zellers and will continue to operate as a Zellers store for some time. For locations that will become Target stores, the majority will be closed for at least six to nine months as they undergo remodelling - at a cost of about $10m to $11m per location.
Target currently operates 1,762 stores.
The following is a general roundup of US apparel and shoe retailers' January 2012 sales results....
Discount retail giant Target Corporation has joined global brands and retailers including Levi Strauss, H&M, Gucci, Benetton and Esprit in banning the use of sandblasting on all owned-brand and nation...
Discount retail giant Target Corporation has blamed an "intensely promotional holiday season" for a 5.2% drop in fourth quarter profit, but says sales have since picked up....
Discount department store retailer Target Corporation has settled a dispute over the use of its name and brand in Canada, paving the way for its move into the country next year....
- PSF 2014: No one size fits all in apparel sourcing
- PSF 2014: Shifting focus from cost to consumer
- Teen retail being rocked by fast fashion headwinds
- Bangladesh industry development moving backwards
- Garment manufacturers eye Myanmar outsourcing
- Gap issues mirror widespread industry challenges
- H&M "pushing the process" on sustainable fashion
- Adidas China supplier in discussions over strike
- Adidas plans mobile phone hotline at all suppliers
- VF Corp eyes speed to market with China hub
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Antimicrobial fibres, fabrics and apparel: innovative weapons against infection
- Jeans in Italy
- Trade and trade policy: clothing imports, consumer expenditure and trends in five emerging markets: Brazil, Colombia, India, Kazakhstan and Peru, 4th quarter 2013
- Sustainable Textiles for Apparel: Fact, Fiction and Future Prospects