US: Target, Topson Downs defeat copyright infringement claims
Discount retailer Target Corp and apparel manufacturing company Topson Downs have defeated claims of copyright infringement from Meridian Textiles.
The claims related to four fabric designs, which included a zebra stripe pattern, an animal print, a burnout pattern and a lace design.
Meridian requested the court to make a decision on its claims without a full trial but was denied. Target and Topson presented copyright registrations to the court.
Judge Gary Klausner of the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California said the zebra stripe pattern was not entitled to copyright protection because it reflected zebra stripes as they occur in nature.
The court ruled that there was no copyright infringement of the other three designs based on evidence provided by law firm Ezra Brutzkus Gubner (EGB) and partners Jeffrey Kobulnick and Mark Brutzkus.
"We are extremely happy with Judge Klausner's ruling as this is a tremendous win not only for Topson and Target, but for many other manufacturers, distributors and retailers in the apparel industry," said Brutzkus.
- Li & Fung looks to new frontiers for growth
- Gap impressed with supply chain improvements
- Impact of the TPP on the US textile industry?
- Cambodia's future outsourcing prospects uncertain
- Better Work programme poised to expand
- China minimum wage rises will be tough to handle
- Cambodia garment industry hit with fresh strikes
- Cambodia mass faintings rise to 896 in first-half
- Ralph Lauren unveils high-performance Polo shirt
- Russia threatens ban on western apparel imports
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Prospects for the Textile and Clothing Industry in Turkey
- Opportunities and Applications for Digital Textile Printing
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Knitting Mills - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details