US: Target, Topson Downs defeat copyright infringement claims
Discount retailer Target Corp and apparel manufacturing company Topson Downs have defeated claims of copyright infringement from Meridian Textiles.
The claims related to four fabric designs, which included a zebra stripe pattern, an animal print, a burnout pattern and a lace design.
Meridian requested the court to make a decision on its claims without a full trial but was denied. Target and Topson presented copyright registrations to the court.
Judge Gary Klausner of the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California said the zebra stripe pattern was not entitled to copyright protection because it reflected zebra stripes as they occur in nature.
The court ruled that there was no copyright infringement of the other three designs based on evidence provided by law firm Ezra Brutzkus Gubner (EGB) and partners Jeffrey Kobulnick and Mark Brutzkus.
"We are extremely happy with Judge Klausner's ruling as this is a tremendous win not only for Topson and Target, but for many other manufacturers, distributors and retailers in the apparel industry," said Brutzkus.
- India's labour law reforms edge a step closer
- Retailers voice concerns on Scottish independence
- Improved supplier capabilities benefit Next
- Alliance and Accord urged to harmonise efforts
- THE FLANARANT: Understand win-win or lose out
- H&M goes green with Conscious Denim
- Under Armour "resonating strongly" with consumers
- TPP talks "make progress" but issues remain
- Adidas defends position despite investor unrest
- Ultrasonic execs disappear along with company cash
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Cut and Sew Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details