US: Target upbeat on Q3 sales and profit gains
- Q3 profit rose to $637m from $555m
- Sales increased 3.4% to $16.6bn
- Comparable-store sales rose 2.9%
Discount retailer Target Corporation says it is optimistic about the upcoming holiday season after higher sales and a gain from the pending sale of its credit-card receivables portfolio boosted its third quarter.
"We're pleased with Target's third quarter financial performance, which reflects superb execution across each of our business segments," said Gregg Steinhafel, chairman, president, and CEO.
"We are well-positioned to deliver strong fourth quarter performance by offering compelling merchandise and unbeatable value."
The retailer, which operates 1,782 stores, said third quarter profit rose to $637m, or $0.96 per share, up from $555m, or $0.82 per share a year earlier. Excluding the credit-card sale gain, adjusted earnings were $0.90 per share.
Sales increased 3.4% to $16.6bn, up from $16.1bn last year, with a 2.9% rise in comparable-store sales.
Looking head to the fourth quarter, the company expects earnings per share of $1.45 to $1.55, including expenses related to the company's Canadian market entry.
Retail giant Target Corporation has lowered its first quarter sales and earnings guidance, blaming softer than expected trends in seasonal and weather-sensitive categories....
- US fashion firms share their sourcing strategies
- How apparel retailers should react to Brexit
- Cost biggest barrier to Bangladesh RMG remediation
- Britain votes for Brexit – what happens next?
- Lies and statistics – the sustainability version
- Columbia rain jacket a milestone in sustainability
- Bangladesh firm comes top in World Textile Awards
- Myanmar factories prepare for compliance training
- ILO decent work in global supply chains criticised
- Ten key trends in apparel and footwear markets
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing & Footwear Retailing in Indonesia– Market Summary & Forecasts
- Primark Stores Limited: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- Clothing & Footwear Retailing in China – Market Summary & Forecasts
- Nike Inc in Apparel and Footwear (World)