US: Target upbeat on Q3 sales and profit gains
- Q3 profit rose to $637m from $555m
- Sales increased 3.4% to $16.6bn
- Comparable-store sales rose 2.9%
Discount retailer Target Corporation says it is optimistic about the upcoming holiday season after higher sales and a gain from the pending sale of its credit-card receivables portfolio boosted its third quarter.
"We're pleased with Target's third quarter financial performance, which reflects superb execution across each of our business segments," said Gregg Steinhafel, chairman, president, and CEO.
"We are well-positioned to deliver strong fourth quarter performance by offering compelling merchandise and unbeatable value."
The retailer, which operates 1,782 stores, said third quarter profit rose to $637m, or $0.96 per share, up from $555m, or $0.82 per share a year earlier. Excluding the credit-card sale gain, adjusted earnings were $0.90 per share.
Sales increased 3.4% to $16.6bn, up from $16.1bn last year, with a 2.9% rise in comparable-store sales.
Looking head to the fourth quarter, the company expects earnings per share of $1.45 to $1.55, including expenses related to the company's Canadian market entry.
Retail giant Target Corporation has lowered its first quarter sales and earnings guidance, blaming softer than expected trends in seasonal and weather-sensitive categories....
- Yuan devaluation impact mixed for garment firms
- Will Vietnam struggle with impending trade deals?
- The new age of disruption on apparel production
- Kurt Cavano on “the Uberfication of everything”
- Gap bullish on China growth opportunities
- US Q2 in brief: J Crew, Aeropostale, Bebe Stores
- Luen Thai to continue investment in Vietnam
- Adidas seeking to resolve shoe supplier dispute
- Adidas files trademark suit against Forever 21
- China market woes could hit consumer spending
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Global market review of lingerie - forecasts to 2020
- Global market review of swimwear - forecasts to 2019