USA: Technical Problems Hit Bluefly Oct Sales
The New York-based company said net sales for the month fell to $2.5 million from $2.7m in the year-ago period amid technical problems that included "site instability, slower than usual page download times and a failure to display all available inventory on the site".
But for the third quarter, Bluefly posted a 42 per cent jump in gross profit to just over $2m from $1.4m in the year-ago period on the back of a 23 per cent increase in sales to $6.3m from $5.1m in 2001. Its net loss improved to $2.2m from $2.4m.
"The development of the new Web site, which is based on a new technology platform, is a major undertaking," said CEO Ken Seiff.
"I am therefore especially pleased by the 23 per cent increase in net sales and 42 per cent growth in gross profits, not only because these results were achieved in a weak retail environment, but also because these results came at a time when significant resources were focused on the long-term investment of developing a new web site."
Commenting on the technical difficulties he added: "I believe these problems and inefficiencies will be short-lived. In fact, we have already resolved many of the post-launch issues and I believe that the business is now beginning to benefit from the technology improvements we have added."
Companies: Bluefly Inc
Online designer brand retailer Bluefly has managed to generate record sales for the fourth quarter and full year 2005 - reportedly owing to an incremental marketing spend - but posted operating losses...
The following is a general roundup of apparel and shoe chains' September sales results. The list will be updated as new results become available....
Online fashion retailer Bluefly Inc has appointed Brad Matson as chief marketing officer....
The following is a general roundup of apparel and shoe chains' April sales results. The list will be updated as new results become available....
- Fashion fit for the future – strategies for speed
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- Will new Vietnam wage hinder competitiveness?
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- Pakistan industry seeks help to kickstart exports
- Child refugees found in Turkey apparel factories
- Chinese manufacturer invests $20m in US facility
- US Q3 in brief - Rocky Brands, Gymboree Corp
- Reebok Liquid Factory reinvents shoe production
- Managing change in the move to new tech tools
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report
- Global Sports and Fitness Wear Market 2016-2020