UK: Ted Baker FY growth encourages City
- FY pre-tax profit up 34.6%
- Group sales grow 26.5%
- UK & Europe sales climb 20.3%
Analysts say Ted Baker provides “an encouraging growth story in the face of an uncertain economic climate”
Ted Baker continues to provide an "encouraging growth story", analysts say, after the apparel lifestyle brand revealed a 35% increase in full-year earnings and sales growth in all its regions.
In the 12 months ended 25 January, profit before tax amounted to GBP39.8m (US$65.8m) from GBP28.9m a year earlier, in line with market estimates.
Group revenue was up 26.5% to GBP321.9m, while retail sales grew 24.6% to GBP259.1m, boosted by strong growth in the UK and Europe where revenues were up 20.3% to GBP198.6m.
In the US and Canada, retail sales increased 38.1% to GBP50.7m. E-commerce sales were up 55.7% to GBP23.2m.
Cantor Fitzgerald analyst Freddie George said over the last three years there has been an "unerring focus" on the integrity of the brand, on-going improvements to the ranges, and further strong momentum in womenswear, which now accounts for 54% of sales. "These positive drivers have, we believe, given the company the confidence to relax the company's ultra-cautious strategy."
Conlumino analyst Greg Bromley offered a similar view. He said Ted Baker provides "an encouraging growth story in the face of an uncertain economic climate".
"By positioning itself as a lifestyle brand rather than just a clothes retailer alone, it has managed to engage with and inspire consumers, encouraging spend on its products even with disposable incomes squeezed.
"It has achieved this through its consistent awareness and development of major fashion trends, while sticking to its roots as a fun, aspirational, British lifestyle brand.
"The coming months will likely see the retailer continue to improve its proposition in the UK, but the more exciting developments are surely set to be abroad, with Ted Baker's growth showing no sign of abating any time soon."
Ted Baker's share price was up 0.14% to 2,202 pence at 09:08 GMT this morning.
Canadean's "Ted Baker PLC - Company Capsule" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contains a company overview, key facts, major products and service...
Ted Baker PLC (Ted Baker) is a clothing retail company. The company designs and undertakes the wholesale and retail sale of men’s wear, women’s wear, children’s wear and accessories. It offers wide ra...
Fashion business Ted Baker ended 2014 with a 22.8% surge in retail sales for the eight weeks to 3 January....
- Low labour cost countries linked to highest risks
- Why should brands care about China cotton?
- UK reshoring hub hit by sweatshop claims
- China cotton: implications and opportunities
- New fibre and fabric innovations for outdoor wear
- South Africa to grow grass for recyclable textiles
- 30% of Adidas cotton from sustainable sources
- US West Coast port contract reached
- Activewear driving US apparel spend
- Benetton to embark on living wage roadmap
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Global market review of swimwear - forecasts to 2019
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead
- Apparel Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide